Team Racing - New Plymouth - 12th May 2013

Team Racing - New Plymouth - 12th May 2013

Postby Andrew Robinson » Mon May 13, 2013 11:58 am

Saturday was fine but with a cold and gusty southerly (11°C, 70km/h gusts) so no racing but some solo fast goodyear practice was done, plus a lot of mouth racing was done in the club house.

Sunday was nice and fine and calm, 19°C and light wind. Some really good racing in Slow Goodyear & F2F.
Fast Goodyear was a bit of a non-event with 2 models not starting and a crash of Brian & Ashleys model after a handle failure.

Planning on having another similar weekend in 3 weeks time on Queens Birthday Weekend. 1-2-3rd June.

Thanks to those people who traveled and every one who helped time keep.

Results attached.

Andrew

Code: Select all
RESULTS
=======

Slow Goodyear Team Race    Round 1     Round 2     Final

1st   Rod Brown            4-02.31     4-00.47     8-04.24
2nd   Adrian Hamilton      4-31.02     4-09.47     8-33.03
3rd   Brian Howser         4-33.48     4-15.94     8-45.52
4th   Graeme Christie      4-27.66     4-20.59
5th   Andrew Robinson      4-26.31     4-31.70
6th   Paul Coghlan         4-29.22     4-51.41
7th   Dave Ackery          4-36.08     4-44.35

Open Goodyear Team Race    Round 1     Round 2

1st   Rod Brown            4-00.97       ---
2nd   Brian Howser         39 Laps     13 Laps (crash)
3rd   Dave Ackery          6 Laps      (declined rerun)
      Robert Bolton        Did not start
      Graeme  Christie     Did not start

(perhaps this should be called 'Bad Day racing'!)

F2F Team Race                 Round 1     Round 2

1st   G.Lewis/R.Bolton        4-14.31     5-09.79
2nd   A.Robinson/G.Christie   4-24.03     35 Laps
3rd   D.Ackery/A.Hamilton     0 Laps        ---

-------------------
Andrew Robinson

Re: Team Racing - New Plymouth - 12th May 2013

Postby ash » Mon May 13, 2013 9:12 pm

A bunch of New Zealand racing chaps descended on New Plymouth MAC's flying site this weekend to test models and do so casual racing.

Saturday was far too wind for anything but a few solo tests, but Sunday was lovely. Goodyear was the order of the day with a warm-up of Slow Goodyear, followed by Murphy's-own Fast Goodyear and a bit of Classic FAI testing and F2F to close the weekend off nicely.

A lot of learning and knowledge sharing took place and at least four models left with my blood splattered on them :lol:

Some pictures from Dave Ackery: (apparently no bbcode resizing support on this forum, so I can only post the links)

Adrian warming the ASP15 up

Rod before the start

Adrian restarting after a pit stop

Graeme, Ashley and Robert mid-final
Adrian Hamilton > CL + FF

http://ashcustomworks.com
ash

Postby ash » Mon May 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Here is Alec Fuller's video of the Slow GY:

I have some to post later.

ash

Postby ash » Mon May 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Brian Howser wrote:Great day on Saturday but cold and windy so we all stayed inside and did lots of mouth racing. There was a [weigh the motors] exercise. Rod and Robert have built up a couple of STS 28 motors for class B TR. Robert has fitted a Cyclon rear induction back plate to his and has filled in all the front induction hole then machined all the venturi off.
Rod has set his up as a front induction version. Fins on both motors have been machined down. I think they weighed about 250-260 grams with one of them being a few grams lighter than the other. My Nelson 29 front unduction with AAC liner weighs 310 plus the pipe.

By mid to late afternoon the wind had dropped enough for some test flying, so Dave Ackery and Adrian Hamilton did some flying with a new Fast Goodyear a Mr D powered by a K&B 21. I have had some problems with a new Mr D powered by a new Rossi 21 five port motor and it was time to see if all my modifications were going to work and yes they did to the tune of around 60 laps at 18.3 seconds for 9 laps. By this time it was late afternoon and damn cold.

Andrew suggested that we should all get to the flying site early on Sunday morning as the weather was going to be good and we had a lot of flying to do. A 9 oclock start had everybody there and getting prepared to fly Slow Goodyear. Not sure what time we started the flying but we all had a reasonable amount of practice and went onto have 2 heats each and then a final.
All the models in the final were in the air most of the time and the race time only had 41 seconds between 1st and 3rd and we were all under 9 minutes! I think. Thanks to Andrew who pitted my first heat and the final and to Rod who pitted my second heat, Ashley was the pilot.

Onto Fast Goodyear and now Don is pitting for me with Ashley flying again. I am not sure whether it was the first or second heat, must have been the second heat because we blew a plug in the first heat but the down line handle adjuster parted company with the down line and so on the third loop at 120 mph the model tried a touch and go, it did the touch okay but didn’t go. Tonight I have taken it to pieces, there is not much salvageable of the model but the tank, engine plates, shutoff, motor, bellcrank all appear to be okay. The motor only has a little bit of damage to the head and top fin.
So that was time for me to pack up but also we had a phone call from our neighbours in Hamilton to say that a roast dinner was waiting for us if we were not going to be too late.

Another weekend has been proposed for Queens birthday weekend, hope the weather holds.
Thanks to everybody for helping.
Cheers Brian.

ash

Postby Andrew Robinson » Wed May 15, 2013 11:41 am

An interesting occurance happened on Sunday during a Slow Goodyear heat.

It was the last heat of the contest so was a 2 up. I was pitting Brian's model with Ashley flying. Adrian & Graeme were the other team. When the race finished the timekeeper showed me the time of 3-56. I didn't believe that we had gone that fast as the performance only seemed "Average". Adrian's model did a 4-09 in the same race. Therefore I believed there had been a time keeping error, perhaps the counter wasn't reset to zero.
We re-ran the race and the time was 4-15. More like I was expecting.

However on reflection I am now not so sure that there was a timekeeping error. During the race I had been timing the model and was getting 26.5s/10 laps in both the first and last tanks. The start was 1 flick, the first pitstop was a bit slow, 5-6 flicks but the second pitstop was faster with 2 flicks.

The following calculation reveals this;

26.5 / 10 laps x 80 laps = 212 seconds
Start, 1 flick = 3 seconds (estimate)
1st Pitstop 5-6 flicks = 15 seconds (estimate)
2nd pitstop 2 flicks = 10 seconds (estimate)
TOTAL: = 240 seconds = 4-00.

This is very close to 3-56 so I now believe that the performance and time were real.

Unfortunately I didn't think to do this calculation at the time.
Also there was no video of the race so we couldn't verify the time.
Food for thought, sometimes you do better than you think you've done!

Thankfully the re-run didn't affect the final outcome as Brian & Ashley made the Final with the re-run time.
But it could have.....

Andrew
Andrew Robinson

Postby ash » Wed May 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Interesting indeed, Andrew. Maybe you can look at the video of the final and interpolate some times from the start and 5 stops recorded with the same team/model.

Here's a video of some Open Goodyear action from Sunday:

(Should be uploaded by 6pm)

ash

Postby Noclassmac1972 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:50 pm

From watching the race there's not a shit show the time was correct.. Ash was doing very slow stops and was being overtaken by the other model... Even with 1st flick starts and 1/2 lap landings we struggle to beat 4 min flying at just over 26!!!! I even timed the re run to make sure of the time...

robert
Noclassmac1972

Return to Control Line