Motat Model Airshow March 2013

Re: Motat Model Airshow March 2013

Postby Dale » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Had a couple of peeps pull out, so plenty of space for more people! Even just bring your plane down, put it on static (remember we are trying to show all facets of the hobby, not limited to big/shiny/expensive/uber detailed scale models) or fly.
Dale

Postby Dale » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:41 am

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT

Updated Map (supplied by Motat)

Note that it is "not to scale" but gives a basic layout.
Entry is via the gate marked "ENTRY". A further gate is available lower down, in the vicinity of the area marked "ST JOHN"
Note further parking available at extreme bottom right of picture.
Motat Map.jpg

A Pilot Briefing is at 1000 both days, ALL pilots who intend on flying that day will be at the briefing. Meet outside the main doors of the Aviation Display hall at 0955.If you can not make this, contact me prior on 021 178 8414 of via dale_bradly (at) hotmail.com. YOU CAN NOT FLY UNTIL BRIEFED. Also at briefing will be Motat staff, and other support staff, e.g. video/photographer.

Hopefully breifing will be over by 1030, so time will be available to set up models etc between then and 1100, which is go time.
Setup may of course be done prior to 0955.

Models may be dropped off on Friday anytime between 10am-4:30 if desired.

All models that are flying on the day, and/or otherwise willing to be displayed on the field, will be beyond the crowd line on the edge of the field. Further static area inside the aviation display hall.

Access will be given to pilots/helpers to access the main Aviation Hall, to collect models, operate the simulator, toilets etc.

Note that no food/drink is available onsite other than the stalls marked on this map.

A coned/marked pilot station will be on the field, this will be utilized by all pilots.

Flying will commence at 11am, and run until 3pm.
Note that no firm program is in place, due to the unpredictability of the weather, model availability etc, so all pilots onsite are asked to help keep things flowing smoothly, and will likely fly more than once.
Dale

Postby Dale » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:04 pm

Have got some 30 odd models sitting on the Motat hangar floor, (but plenty of room for more people!).
A few of us had a fly in the field today. While it is tight, it's easily managed with Parkflyer type models.
See you tomorrow morning, remember briefing 10am for pilots, static welcome anytime.
Dale

Postby Dale » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:08 am

In total we had 2800-odd people come and have a look, and it seems every one asked how much and where can I get one? I saw all the modellers talking to the crowd, sharing the knowledge and pointing them in the right directions.

So the weekend has been a complete success, with no incidents, no crashes, nothing at all, just fun flying and lots of public engagement. The simulator got an absolute workout, which was great to see.

I have not had the “official debrief” from Motat, but unofficially, they were absolutely blown away by the weekend, a complete success in their opinion, and I am sure they will wish me to pass on their best wishes and gratitude to all of you.

I, in my hi-viz, whistle wearing, chief busy-body capacity, would most sincerely like to thank, in no particular order:

The pilots, without which there would have been no show. Everyone flew heaps, thank you for your enthusiasm, and your professionalism in performing under some pressure, flawlessly. My hat is off to all of you.

The “supporters”, who helped, running the simulator, setting up etc. You know who you are and I appreciate your efforts.

Those who provided static models, thank you very much. The floor would be boring without you!

Rob, great job on the commentary. A+

Tomo, for the excellent way you were videoing, and we look forward to the results! And best of luck with your business, free plug: Argentine Marine Media http://www.argmm.com.ar

RCLink for your support with models.

Dave Hodges, for renting a car to drive up from the Central N.I, to put your magnificent F-4 on display, and furthermore fearlessly taxiing around, definitely a highlight from the crowd’s perspective.

Sykotic, award for the furthest drive to be there, and also to everyone who travelled, we did have guys from out of Auckland come along.

Western Springs College for the use of the field.

Dave Wright (MFNZ) for the use of MFNZ’s simulator, PA etc. Thank you very much.

And of course Motat for organising and hosting the event, you guys were great to work with, and I think we’d all do it again no problem.
Dale

Previous

Return to Club Chatter/Events