Sig Koverall

Sig Koverall

Postby Chris Brew » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:22 pm

I'm sick of the crap shiny finish of the iron on plastic coverings and would like to try my hand at using Sig Koverall.
I've had a hunt around the net looking for some good how to's on this product but there is not much out there.
I'm looking for recommendations on the best way to use this product what dopes to use for sticking and shrinking and best painting techniques.
Chris Brew

Re: Sig Koverall

Postby Chris Brew » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:04 pm

You can't tell me that there is no one out there that has not used Koverall before. How about the best place to bye Dope in New Zealand, can anyone help me out with that.
Chris Brew

Postby Dale » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:07 pm

I haven't used Koverall, so can't offer much help there but if you are looking for "alternatives" try solartex. Is a woven fabric iron on, way better than shiny plastic crap. Goes on easier, looks better, simpler than koverall, easy to paint, and maybe cheaper.
Dale

Postby Chris Brew » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks Dale for your posts. I will look into the dope prices from the site you suggested. I already have several models that are covered in solartex and yes this covering is much nicer than the iron on plastic stuff and has proven to be more durable, but from what I have seen from some models lately that have been covered in the old fabric and dope way I personally find the finish better again although heavier. I would really like to give this method of covering a go.
Chris Brew

Postby compy260 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:49 am

compy260

Postby Slayer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:50 am

436 stock koverall but their stock levels can be spasmodic, The last lot I bought a couple of months ago was from the States, shipping was easy and cheap and it worked out cheaper than buying it here. Water based polyurethane works almost as good as dope and is a lot cheaper. If you want larger amounts of dope you can get it here http://unitedpaints.co.nz/ its really cheap. There are some photos here of Koverall on my Catalina wings http://www.parkflyers.org.nz/modules/ne ... pe=&mode=0
Slayer

Postby Chris Brew » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:44 pm

Thanks Guys for the links. Nice job on the Catalina Slayer. I am very interested in float planes and have several myself. The Catalina has always been on my wish list.
I took the time to read the thread and could not see any mention on what paint you used to paint this model, looks like you have done a nice job with the paint.
Chris Brew

Postby Slayer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:38 pm

Chris Brew wrote:Thanks Guys for the links. Nice job on the Catalina Slayer. I am very interested in float planes and have several myself. The Catalina has always been on my wish list.
I took the time to read the thread and could not see any mention on what paint you used to paint this model, looks like you have done a nice job with the paint.

Thanks Chris, I used 295 industrial enamel (matt) Its a cheap industrial paint, the gloss is ok and since this was matt it didnt matter anyway
Slayer

Postby Chris Brew » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Thanks Slayer I will be watching you Catalina build with interest
Chris Brew

Postby Slayer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Slayer

Next

Return to Hints & Tips