100" Mosquito Bomber for Electric Power

Re: 100" Mosquito Bomber for Electric Power

Postby spitty » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:28 am

Adam,

wow, she will be really a beauty... again, please post more Pictures ( inside gear area, gear Doors,

Hinges and so on )

Many thanks in advance

Andy
spitty

Postby Adam » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:51 pm

Made a little progress over the last month , the invasion stripes have put up a hell of a fight , I am having real trouble getting the paint to stick to the Oracover , tried sanding it with 600 paper & priming it first, but best result seams to be paint directly on to it. Forget masking tape , even the low tac tamiya yellow tape lifts the paint in places , so far the best results have been using thin cardboard and 3 hands to hold it in place ( thanks Tony ) or pinching my wife's L plates that stick to the car windows and throwing them on the wing, they are a very thin slightly sticky plastic , almost silicon in feel. From what i have been told thats how they did it in the Factory , Rubber mats cut to shape and attached to the aircraft.

Adam..
Attachments
black & white.JPG
Adam

Postby Adam » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:55 pm

Here we are trying to work out the paint lines. Thanks to the airfix 1/24th scale model for reference.

The grey was applied first , then masked off with blu-tac and the green sprayed, I am very happy with todays result , next step the tails , then onto the wing centre section and fuselage , at least i can do it a small part at a time.

I'll try to remember to give you some pictures of the blu-tac masking next time.

Adam..
Attachments
colour plan.JPG
Adam

Postby spitty » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Adam,

wonderful progress,wow, I was very pleased when I saw Your work on the Landing gear, the oleos looks

fantastic.

I use Humbrol Colors for my Warbirds and I´m more than satisfied with this methode.

But Adam, again, I would be more than happy If You could post some Pics from the

Details, please hold Your camera in every open hole of the Mossi ;)

( gear area, hinges, fuselage, connection points of Wings and Flaps )

Many thanks in advance :)

Andy
spitty

Postby Adam » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Made some good progress today with the painting.
Dark Grey and then Green have been sprayed , the wing roundells have been painted white to hide the black stripes then the red centre has been added.
The green was sprayed freehand with my Sprayworks Airbrush following the Airfix colour drawings.

The Exhaust pipes went on today & the start of the exhaust staining has been sprayed on the cowling.
Attachments
KIF_3317.JPG
Adam

Postby Adam » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Well this is tonights progress. the Fuselage Roundels are now painted on, that was a job , 5 colours to paint , a mix of Automotive , tamiya Lacquer and my now favourite type Tamiya Acrylic's

If it wasn't for my airbrush i would never have taken on a job like this.

The wings are now completed with the last colour going on tonight.

Getting close now, tick .. tick .. tick .

Time to start assembling everything and getting ready to the test fly.
Attachments
fuse roundell.JPG
wings finished.JPG
exhaust burns.JPG
Adam

Postby spitty » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Adam, very nice progress and I remember the Roundels on my Hurricane...a full day job. :cry:

Please be so nice and don´t forget my request, please make some more pictures ( gear area , open cowling and so on )

Many thanks in advance and good luck for Your maiden, i will pray for You

Andy
spitty

Postby Adam » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Today's job was to put the 2 pot semi-gloss clear over the model to protect the paint.

We are lucky to have a friendly car painter who lets us use the spraybooth, I was spraying in a 30 degree dust free enviroment with very low humidity, it makes all the difference with the clear coats.

Then the model was left to bake for a couple of hours. Next week its the big reinstall job , refitting motors and electronics.

Adam..
Attachments
KIF_3352.JPG
Adam

Postby ash » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:03 pm

Wow, what a monster!

Looking good.
Adrian Hamilton > CL + FF

http://ashcustomworks.com
ash

Postby Adam » Mon May 13, 2013 9:22 am

It looks like i have come to the end of the build process , now with the test flights going well its time to talk about the setup and habits of this model.

The model balanced with the main drive batterys attached to the front wing spar , 2 infront , 2 behind , so all the fears of it being tail heavy were wrong.

The Feel of the elevator was good on approach , although i do want a bit more down thrust as it climbs hard above 1/2 throttle , thats where it cruises , just under half.

My best take off was done at that power , mush less torque reaction as the tail lifted and a smoother climbout. Now i have to learn to fly it like a bomber , it really feels like a spitfire! very light on the controls.

So far only one landing was done with 30degree flap , it had no trim change but really dosent need the flaps , 3 bladed props have a great engine brake effect and after cutting power to idle on finals i was putting a bit back on to make it to the strip.
Attachments
KIF_3387.JPG
Adam

PreviousNext

Return to Build Threads