100" Mosquito Bomber for Electric Power

Re: 100" Mosquito Bomber for Electric Power

Postby DH100 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:12 pm

Any progress is good progress. Keep up the good work. I wonder how many others have itchy fingers for a Mossie. I understand the full size will be here until February, so I expect the airshow at Hood will be a sell out.

Brian
DH100

Postby Adam » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Another good weekends progress, Dad now has the outer flaps & Ailerons hinged & the wing tips shaped nearly ready to cover the wing panels.

I have been working on the Retracts and flap horns inside, I have the inner flaps working now and have just started working on a joiner to operate the outer flaps, now thats not as easy as i first thought because as the wing slides off the joiner pins the angle changes and wont let me just use a simple square tube to drive the outer flaps.

While waiting for the epoxy to dry I had a play with a balsa mock up of a tailwheel , after version 3 I ended up with a system that will work & also clear the tailplane.
Now its dads turn to copy my balsa tailwheel design in some nice looking machined Aluminium.

There is not a lot of room in this model even at 100" its very difficult to position thing like Actuators for Main gear retracts & also the tail wheel retract, Flap servos and even the hinges for the gear doors get really close to the BIG FAT Wheels.
Attachments
tail wheel down.JPG
Adam

Postby Adam » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:43 pm

We have made steady progress covering the wings and tails, a quick spray of primer revealed a million pin holes in the glass fuselage. A tube of tamiya putty later and its all looking good.
The wing panels very given a preshade around all the panel lines, not many on the top surface but plenty on the bottom, after the top coat is applied the panel lines should appear darker than the rest of the paint.
Attachments
preshade wings.JPG
Adam

Postby Adam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:11 pm

The LADO tech retract actuators have arrived & we have a main gear test setup on the bench.

They are great little units providing almost 60mm of travel and so much power you dont want to get anything caught in the pushrods.

They simply plug into the receiver , when they hit the end and cannot push anymore they turn off so in theory if the retracts jam they will stop pushing before they kill the batterys or regulator.
Attachments
KIF_2703.JPG
Adam

Postby Adam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:19 pm

I also gave up on the idea of making an aluminium tail wheel leg so i made this one from birch ply and painted it with Alclad paint.

Now i have the LADO unit fitted and working. I had to make a plate that will limit the travel of the arm so the LADO will stop before it runs off the end of the thread.

The mosquito tail wheel can only retract about halfway into the fuse before it hits the tailplane so i had to be sure it would stop before it pushed the wheel through the 1/16th balsa sheeting.

Adam..
Attachments
KIF_2704.JPG
Adam

Postby spitty » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:38 pm

Hello Adam,

I joined this board, because I was searching hours after the Mick Reeves Mosquito , one build log
in the UK stopped 2 Years ago..... :(
A few words to me, I' m 49 years old,live in Germany, rc modeller
since 37 years and I flew many Years as a commercial Pilot KingAirs and those stuff.
I'm in love with the Mossi since childhood and when Mick introduce his Mossi I ordered the Kit immediatly and was happy like on Christmas
Unfourtunately that is 5 years ago, I never had the courage to start the build, because I think,
You need time and energy for this project and will start it NOW!
(f.e. my GFK-Parts are white so it's difficult to see the correct position of all those spars, and
it's also difficult to check , that the glue is in correct place)
So I would be more than happy, if You would be so nice to post all the Pictures You have made.
( like a Top -Flight Manual ;) )

By the way: Your build is fantastic!

Many thanks for that in advance

Kind regards

Andy
spitty

Postby Adam » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:52 am

Yes this kit requires a lot of work to make it, the only thing i can say is fit everything first before you glue anything , it took a lot of work to make the wing spars fit correctly.

The gear doors are also annoying me at the moment , Run some carbon fibre inside the gear doors and allow it to cure before you cut the doors out. My doors are twisted and they wont close properly.

If you need any more details or photos just ask.

Adam..
Adam

Postby spitty » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:00 am

Dear Adam,

I think, this is so a great build,You did a pretty good job and I' m
sure, that other boardmembers would be happy about more pictures
and information too.
For my person I would be very pleased if You would post as much informations
and pictures as You can...
Thanks for the advice with the stability of the gear doors.
By the way, I was thinking about going electric with the use of soundmoduls,
but I will go with 2 wonderful ENYA R155 Engines as planned before.
If You're interested: I have the copy from the first build from the Designer John Carpenter,
if You want I will send You the file as PDF (title was : Mosquito Saga)

Best regards
Andy
spitty

Postby Adam » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:31 pm

Thanks Andy I have a copy of that build, over 2 parts if i remember right.

Well after a months break from Mosquitoing I was happy to get a few hours in the workshop last night & most of Today.

The flaps ( Both inner & Outer panels ) are now hooked up and working on a 3 position switch on the front of the Transmitter.
The retracts and doors are now operating under their own power ( C/o Lado screw jack units ) and the rudder closed loop cables are connected.

The bottom of the Model is now painted RAF Medium Sea Grey. Maybe Next weekend i can put the Dark Sea Grey on the top then mask for the Dark Green , that will by difficult as i have trouble masking the curves. The invasion stripes SHOULD be easy , just Parrallel and equal width Black & White stripes on the wings and around the fuselage.

I am so glad i built the Airfix Palstic model first , it showed me how everything went together and how it should look.
Adam

Postby spitty » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:45 pm

Dear Adam,

I forgot, You have it pretty warm in Your Country in the moment, in Germany its winter and I have more
time for building.

Yes, the Airfix Mossi, the bog one, is so nice, and here´s one of the best builds ever..

http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums ... 50396&p=42 ( it´s worth to check all sites )

I learned much for weathering my little CM Pro Mosquito , I will post some pics soon.....

Thanks for Your assistance an kind regards...

Andy
spitty

PreviousNext

Return to Build Threads