DH Vampire 1/5th Scale prototype - Kit

Re: DH Vampire 1/5th Scale prototype - Kit

Postby Allens1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:15 pm

Have been a silent observer of this fantastic project Brian. Lovely model with amazing detail. It's a jet that has always had my interest since a child (12 yrs old) on a school trip to Woodbourne and being chosen to wear the full gear of a vampire pilot. Never forget the hanger full of vampires either. Thanks for keeping us informed of progress on this project. Allen
Allens1

Postby DH100 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks there Allens1. I'm glad you're hanging in there! It's been a long time between drinks sometimes.
Something old and something new here. The space behind the pilot had to be rebuilt due to the mods to the upper fuse profile. The platform type arrangement is not fixed and was made some time ago. This is the mounting for the Hydraulic tank on the full size and I have yet to tackle that. Some more tomorrow as our foul weather is about to persist. (I also did some work on the new cowl catches for my Miles Hawk)

rsz_2015-11-21_183834.jpg
DH100

Postby barrierussell » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:34 pm

Greeting Brian, Fantastic work, you're even a lot quicker than me !! I spy that piano type hinge on the hatch, could you tell me the dimensions of it and do you have a supply address ?

Many Thanks, Barrie R.
barrierussell

Postby DH100 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi Barrie

Slow is a word I seem to understand well!
I have to tell you that the hinges are home made. I silver soldered some 1/16 OD Brass Tube to a piece of 1/32 Brass Strip, marked it out accordingly then did the rest (carefully) with a cut-off wheel, finishing with a needle file. Once you get started it doesn't (seem) to take that long.

Cheers ... BB
DH100

Postby DH100 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:22 pm

Well been AWOL for a while. No all wasted time but more a matter of diversity!
So a lot of what I’ve done recently has been re-hashing work done previously but all around the modified top fuselage section hence not a lot of pics. One of the biggies was to try blowing a canopy and I regret that at this stage I’ve put up the white flag on that one. Here are some of pics of the set-up I worked with, alas not up to spec.
IMG_1545 - Copy (Small).JPG

Set up the base on the Vac former

IMG_1546 (Small).JPG

The ill fated clamping plate

IMG_1548 (Small).JPG

One of the positive results

IMG_1563 (Small).JPG

The previous was turned into a pluc for a female mould.

I will get back to it however in the meantime I have made one of the two female moulds as per our old Airsail Piper Tomahawk and Neil Schrader’ Sptifire canopy mouldings. Result is OK and I’m being told I’m too fussy by some. I have yet to make the second mould for the outer skin and will do so shortly. The blow moulding will work and as you see I have some minor encouragement but the engineering, the clamping pressure and the air control are the critical aspects and in my haste I was wide of the mark. Also, I really want to use Acrylic (Perspex) as it polishes beautifully, where PET-G just doesn’t.
So, I’m working rearwards along the fuselage with a view to painting the fuselage pod this month. I have the canopy rails sorted, the little side doors all fitting well and the Fuel Cap cut out done and dusted. The top rear hatch is next and that will probably be the first item to be painted.
IMG_1655 (Small).JPG

IMG_1574 (Small).JPG

The first reasonable moulding from the female mould. Next is the outer skin, essentially a slightly larger canopy bonded to the inner one.
Apart from that my bench is crowded at the moment with the resurrection of my sport jet and some further mods to the Miles Hawk .. this time adjusting the thrustline and the horizontal stab incidence. Not enough hours in the day.
DH100

Postby DH100 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:33 pm

I managed to get some colour on the hatch, anything to encourage oneself to do more. I'm pretty pleased with the result so far, but my pictures of the full size demonstrate the need for some serious weathering and there’s the latch cover plates to be fitted.
IMG_1661 (Small).JPG
IMG_1661 (Small).JPG (69.44 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

I’ve come to the conclusion that the best way to render something removable is to make them as a separate item then add them later.
IMG_1662.JPG

I plan to attach them with good old F2 contact adhesive. The quick release fastener heads are yet to be attached.
IMG_1663 (Small).JPG
IMG_1663 (Small).JPG (39.12 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
DH100

Postby DH100 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:57 pm

A little like painting by numbers here but it’s the way I like to do things with an airbrush. As you see I have the Dark Sea Grey on the tail cone area and also the under side PRU Blue on the gun access panels. It’s all to glossy at the moment but it will change.
IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG

A good friend passed on an unused Power Box Light controller today ..what I lucky man am I then! That will fit very nicely into the Vampire works. Thanks you Craig A.
DH100

Postby DH100 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:17 am

The underside of the fuselage is now all PRU Blue so I’m looking forward to getting the topside dealt with.
IMG_1741.JPG

As a reward I decided to tackle a detail item that’s highly visible under the canopy, namely the Hydraulic Fluid Reservoir, which was/is situated immediately behind the pilots armour plate.
IMG_1785 (Small).JPG
IMG_1785 (Small).JPG (50.41 KiB) Viewed 4508 times

IMG_1783 (Small).JPG
IMG_1783 (Small).JPG (48.85 KiB) Viewed 4508 times

It has an array of pipes with lock wired nuts so it's not a five minute job - regrettably!
DH100

Postby DH100 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:48 pm

I came back from the Tokoroa Jet Spectacular suitably inspired. 10 flights with the newly restored Bullfrog got things working again after a year off jets!
So, on to the Vampire again and some progress on it’s the emergency Hydraulic Reservoir.
The basic body was primed and the various supply and return tubes made from plastic rod bent with the heat of a candle. Regular nuts were added with spacers and the lock wires added from fine copper wire that I’ve had for about a hundred years! Painted matt black and dry brushed to highlight things it’s looking OK.
Hyd Res.JPG

Not quite there with it yet and then there’s also an equally prominent electrical junction box of some sort along with cables and leads. All good fun.
DH100

Postby DH100 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:40 pm

I fabricated what appears to be some sort of electronics box located behind the armour plate on the starboard. This was made from pieces of G10, Balsa, Litho plate, Ali Tube and Plastic rod. I have no idea of what it did but like the reservoir it’s very visible.
IMG_1809 (Small).JPG

IMG_1828 (Small).JPG

IMG_1824 (Small).JPG

Next will be the Shoulder Harness anchor point along with the Armour Plate .
DH100

PreviousNext

Return to Build Threads