DH Vampire 1/5th Scale prototype - Kit

Re: DH Vampire 1/5th Scale prototype - Kit

Postby Warwick » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi Brian,

Any updates? Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Warwick

Postby DH100 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:56 am

Hi Warwick
The Vampire has been off the bench for some weeks now while I do an overhaul on my Miles Hawk. It suffered and engine failure on take-off and some subsequent damage with nowhere to go but rough ground or a fence at the Nats last year and I put it aside "till later". (I missed the fence). It has got a bit late with the Nats looming so soon but I'm getting there with it and am itching to get back to my pet project!

Thanks for keeping the faith!

Brian
DH100

Postby Warwick » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Thanks for the update Brian, will wait patiently for the next post. Have a merry Christmas
Warwick

Postby DH100 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:47 pm

Merry Christmas to you too Warwick. Further progress is not far off.

Thanks again.

Brian B
DH100

Postby DH100 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:17 pm

Finally the Vampire is back on the board for the first time since September last year. So, I have fitted the converted hydraulic retract set up to the model and the moment of truth arrived. I can report so far, so good. I have a one minimal leak primarily due to the tube being used and I expect this to pretty much be alleviated when the installation is properly set up. I watched the first retract cycle with some trepidation but was pleasantly surprised with perfect operational performance.
Nose.Leg.cylinder.mounting.jpg

I decided to re-jig the nose cylinder mounting arrangement and I also took the lead from the full size regards the bracing on the nose leg chassis mounting as well. It’s a little agricultural looking but it will be a great belt-and-braces arrangement for the entire system. The converted system does impose an interesting amount of force on things and I have bought a Festo pressure gauge to fit to the system. It will be interesting to see if it tops out at around the 150 PSI claimed in the manufacturers blurb!
The next step will be to complete the actual setup, improve the engineering of the steering link on the nose leg and get to some serious finishing. I have a target for which to aim – no – a commitment in fact!
DH100

Postby DH100 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:48 pm

I have tarted up and introduced some additional bracing on the rear side of the front former. There are still some adjustments to do on the closure of all the doors and as we all know they will almost certainly be on-going. The link below shows it in and working on the model for the first time.

http://youtu.be/2_xzUvL74K8
DH100

Postby Warwick » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Good to see you back again Brian.
Warwick

Postby Warwick » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:07 pm

My Kerry Sterner 1/4 vampire maiden last week. It flies very well but floats!! Notice I have left out the word scale after following your build.

http://youtu.be/gSr_li-5ADs
Warwick

Postby Warwick » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:07 pm

My Kerry Sterner 1/4 vampire maiden last week. It flies very well but floats!! Notice I have left out the word scale after following your build.

http://youtu.be/gSr_li-5ADs
Warwick

Postby DH100 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:18 pm

Ah yes Warwick, but like a couple of others I know you have one flying! Well done. So, where is your flying site and what does the model weigh? :D

Nothing dramatic here but jobs that have to be done. I decided to make permanent the fittings for mounting the Hydraulics board. Some time ago I completed the forward locator so the rear hanger straps have been added. There’s a lot of spaghetti to tidy up yet however. I will fit a simple switch to the pump power line allowing it to be electronically isolated when it’s not in use and also to allow control of the bleeding process.
2015.02.28.11.19.29.jpg

Hydraulics.Board.Aft.Mounting.jpg
Attachments
Hydraulics.Board.in.situ.jpg
DH100

PreviousNext

Return to Build Threads