new wing for house of balsa 2x4

Re: new wing for house of balsa 2x4

Postby tigger » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Just showing the iron and temp i have set it to.
Tigger
Attachments
models 8 005.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:09 pm

All done for the bottom side of wing. I used the heat gun to firm up the covering, not too tight at this stage as it could pull the wing out of shape. Will tighten completely when the top side is covered.Can't use the jig on the next side but it's not really needed as the wing will sit nice and flat. I will use 3 pieces to cover the top and start and do the tips first and then the centre with a small overlap on the tips. I will use some Prymol on the edges where the top covering comes in contact with what i have put on. Prymol takes the gloss off the solafilm and helps it stick better. It's good for removing water base paint from covering material for repairs as well. Do hope i'm not boring all the old modelers with this but just maybe some one will get something from it all.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
models 8 007.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:39 pm

outer top panel covered and i have folded the solarfilm down the rib to give it a bit more area to adhere too.
Will cover the other side and the centre section will over lap this by 10 mm.
Tigger
Attachments
models 9 002.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:51 pm

All the covering on so will sort out the ailerons and get them attached this week. Have made some leads and have attached them to the RX ready for the wing.I Chose flaperons for wing choice on my spectrum 7 channel and that will give me a flap setting and a spoileron setting using the flap switch. It also enables differential and i'll mix some rudder with the ailerons,about 30% seems to work well. Next comes the scary bit, for me anyway and that will be the test flight.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
models 9 006.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:44 pm

all the bits ready for aileron attacment. I had saved a laser cut aileron horn cut out from a previous model and use it as a pattern for any i need,just draw around it on to some 1/16" ply and cut them out with a cut off blade in my angle grinder,works a treat.
Tigger
Attachments
models 11 001.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Mylar hinges glued into wing with PVA glue.Will mark off aileron and cut slots ready for attaching.
Made the hinges about 7mm wide and 16 mm in length.
Tigger
Attachments
models 11 002.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:54 pm

control horns epoxed in place and ready to all go together.Mylar material in the back ground.I just bought a sheet and cut out what i need. Will try and get the push rods and fairings fitted and then it's almost time to play the last post.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
models 11 003.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:05 pm

fairings to cover servos. Remember a while back i said i would show how to get a feed and a fairing, well here it is. The fairings are from Le Snacks, cheese and crackers and i just cut the round cheese holder bit off,paint inside and stick on with some d/sided tape. Works well.Made the odd mistake during the build and one was i should have mounted the servos close to the spar where i normally put them and this may have helped the C of G a bit.AUW of the wing came in at 10.7 ounces and the original was 7.2ounces. To get the correct C of G i added 1 ounce of lead in front of the batteries. The AUW for the glider is now 26 ounces and the wing loading stays the same.more weight but more area as well.
Wings finished so i'll sign off now and thanks for having me.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
models 12 001.jpg
tigger

Postby Dale » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:30 pm

Excellent idea! But you can't sign off until we get a post flight report and some inflight pics!
Dale

Postby owl » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:53 am

Wow that's come out nice and light Tigger! Good luck with the maiden
owl

PreviousNext

Return to Build Threads