new wing for house of balsa 2x4

Re: new wing for house of balsa 2x4

Postby Dale » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:47 pm

Cool, i was hoping you could sort out the pic issue and keep on with the posts.
Dale

Postby Dale » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:23 pm

Years ago i had a simple 2m 2ch balsa glider, if i am correct it was a Thunder Tiger Windstar. I gave it away, now sometimes i wish i still had it.
Dale

Postby tigger » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:29 pm

Thanks Dale, and yes i revert back to this 2 channell when the winds up or i need to get up to speed before i fly the less forgiving ones and even when this wing is ready to try i can still see me flying the 2 channell version. When you said you will go to Forsyth,is it a good spectator weekend?, why i ask is i have a non flying bro in Christchurch and sent him out to McLeans Island for some scale classics and warbirds a few weekends back and he really enjoyed it. Forsyth is a bit further but sounds like a big fly in.
Cheers Tigger
tigger

Postby tigger » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:44 pm

Servo installation is on the way,still dragging the chain [getting side tracked] but have worked out where it should go and will use double sided tape and a couple of screws. will also shorten lead and put the join with the servo. Have found some handy little fairings/covers and will post pic soon,they're quite good as you get a feed and a fairing.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
aileron fit.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:52 pm

long wing with 1/8' ply polyhedral braces making it look good,no glue as yet.Bounced the original wing off a fence post yesterday and no damage so the dowel LE can certainly take a knock,was watching the plane and not where it was heading until it homed in on some larger dowel,like 6'' stuff.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
wing 0003.jpg
tigger

Postby Dale » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:52 pm

Forsyth is awesome. Probably the best model event i have been too. Even as a spectator it is huge.
Last year (and i presume this year will be no different) there was 4 different flight lines on the go at once (big, parkflyers, heli and float) so there is always something happening. Send him along to that definately. (and come yourself too!)
Start at this link http://www.parkflyers.org.nz/modules/ne ... mpost66263 and read on from there for a few pages, there is pics and vids from last year.
Dale

Postby tigger » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:46 pm

centre and outer panels complete and now need diagonals and servo mounts and ply braces fitted.
Attachments
forum 001.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:02 pm

showing rib angles of centre and outer panels.This is to my mind an easy way to set up the dihedral with only one rib beiing angled.I will fit the ply braces but leave them unglued and will glue the ribs with support under the tips then when dry will epoxy the braces.
Tigger
Attachments
models 008.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:14 pm

tools for this build include my old Swan & morton knife. You can buy the scalpel blades from your local Vet supplies or if your an IC engine user grab some from A & E when they are sewing your fingers back on,kidding.
Tigger
Attachments
models 013.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:21 pm

More tools for build. This is the glue used on the wing.
i start with CA for tacking parts and then use PVA for the overnight join.Gorilla is good for the joint between the balsa block wing tip and rib. I also use an epoxy which i forgot to fit in,this i use on the ply braces.
Will have some more of the wing to show soon as progress has been good.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
models 014.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi there all, can some one help me with my postings?.I seem to get 404 error each time i try and submit.
Cheers Tigger
tigger

Postby tigger » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:29 pm

Well, help is at hand. Looked up Slayer in the Yellow Pages and found him under Dragons. Popped around for a chat and he assured me help is on the way,sounds a bit like a 70's song but i'm sure it will happen. Mean while it's back to the woodwork and glue.Thanks Slayer.
Tigger
tigger

Postby Dale » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:35 pm

I was getting the 404 as well a lot last week, I notified the admin at the time.
Wing looking good, you making more progress than me at moment.
Dale

Postby tigger » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Black Magic Cowls for Dale to look at. This may or may not be of help to you Dale but you said you were back on the cowls again and having to alter things somewhat. This was how i made glass cowls for my BM years ago. I made a balsa buck that fitted around the engine bearers and firewall then filled it in with plaster. The balsa buck profile gave me an out line to shape it to and then i made a female glass mould with some reinforcing on it to help retain the shape then made the cowl proper inside that. Probably a long way around and i think now days people use blue foam as a buck and just glass over it then pour some petrol etc insde it to disolve foam and hey presto you have a glass cowl/fairing etc. Good luck with your new cowl.
Tigger
Attachments
black magic 002.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:30 pm

more cowl shots. Top cowl attached with small screws. The cowls are rather strong but light as well and can handle a few knocks. Easy to repair as well. Posted them here as i didn't want to clutter up your build,hope you cruise past for a look.
Cheers Tigger
PS And a thank you to Slayer, yell if you need a hand with the Dragons,i'll send some one around.
Attachments
black magic 003.jpg
tigger

Postby Dale » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:25 pm

Cheers for that, yeah pretty much heading down the route of making a mold to then make cowls out of, so gotta do everything twice! I might talk to the local 'glass shop here about making them, as by the time i set myself up with all the bits and pieces required, i probably will have paid for someone else to do it more than once!
Dale

Postby tigger » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:53 pm

joining outer panels. Okay, sorry for heading off to black magic things but back with the wing now.Have joined both left and right panels using gorilla glue which i find to be just the shot for places like this. It's a real gap filler and any overflow is easily cleaned up after it has cured.I brush some water on to the ribs just to moisten them as gorilla works better with humid conditions,cure time is about 3hrs but i leave most of the sanding until the next day.You will see i have added diagonals to the wings and also some to the outer spars.there was no call for shear webbs on the panels but some extra bracing can't hurt.
Tigger
Attachments
models 3 002.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:04 pm

wing all together and some of the ply braces have been epoxed. Still to finish all glueing,make another aileron and fit terminals and servos. At this stage the wing weighs in at 219 grams, [ the 2x4 covered and flying is 203 grams ] i think when i'm all finished there will be about another 65-75 grams added. Interesting that the foam 2 metre wings on the Phoenix weigh a whopping 396 grams, mind you they are a tad longer than this one.
Tigger
Attachments
models 4 021.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:12 pm

wing comparison between the 2x4 wing in use and the new 2x5 wing shows just how large it is and only 4 extra wing bays added. Starting to look forward to the finished wing but still a way to go and will keep at it but sometimes the end bits take the longest.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
models 4 018.jpg
tigger

Postby Slayer » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:39 am

Looking good Tigger
Slayer

PreviousNext

Return to Build Threads