new wing for house of balsa 2x4

new wing for house of balsa 2x4

Postby tigger » Sun May 04, 2014 9:29 pm

My HOB 2x4 has been a wonderful glider to use as a trainer and let me enter the world of the bungee launch which was real scary for the first flights. Now i would like to make a longer wing [60"] with ailerons,less camber and polyhedral. I had copied the original plans when i built it so have just added a few more wing bays to give the extra length and have lowered the top of the ribs by 2.5 mm. I am still sorting out the ailerons and i'm hopeful i will settle on something as i build the outer panels.I had tried to buy another kit from HOB as they produce a 2x6 and also a slope machine with ailerons but they will not post to NZ. This will put my glider between what they build, and will become a 2x5. I have started the build so will try and post up to the present stage.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
2x4 & hay bales 019.jpg
tigger

Re: new wing for house of balsa 2x4

Postby tigger » Sun May 04, 2014 9:43 pm

start of new wing and sorting out all the ribs. The bottom and top spars are 1/8"x3/8" spruce as are the 1/8"x1/8" stringers.Ribs are 1/16" and TE is 1/16"x1 3/8". Th centre 3 ribs will be sheeted with 1/16" and LE is metric 6mm dowel [original was 8mm arrow shaft] so as you can see it's built to take some knocks.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
2x5 wing 009.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Sun May 04, 2014 9:48 pm

next stage of what will be a 2x5 wing with all ribs in place,LE and lower TE with stiffner attached. Next up will be to measure cut and fit shear webs ready for the top spar to go on.
cheers Tigger
Attachments
2x5 wing 010.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Sun May 04, 2014 9:58 pm

2x5 wing build and now have the shear webbing in place but have not included the outer 2 bays as this is where the ply braces will fit.Top of TE glued and almost ready to sheet in the centre section. The wing at this stage is still very flexable and later on i will put in some diagonals that will stiffen it up consderably.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
2x5 wing 016.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Sun May 04, 2014 10:07 pm

2x5 wing build now off the board so i can get some glue in all the joint areas that were out of reach before. I use CA to tack up with then exterior pvc and most times two runs of it. Epoxy or gorila will be used for the ply braces.
Spot you later Tigger
Attachments
2x5 wing 019.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Mon May 05, 2014 9:26 am

2x5 servo wire in place and now ready for lower sheeting to go on. I will fit terminals after wing is complete with servos mounted.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
stage 2x5 build 006.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Mon May 12, 2014 9:03 pm

outer panel with ribs,spars and tip tacked in place with CA. The outer panel does not have shear webs like the centre section but i will put some diagonal braces in as i did on the original build of the 2x4. At this stage i have only brought the centre section up to check alignment of LE and TE so really now i better make a move on the false spar for the ailerons and also set up my 5 degrees of diahedral. The 2x4 had 15 degrees but no ailerons and turns really well but i thought too much diahedral with ailerons may cause problems. I had run out of the LE 6mm dowel but good old placemakers carry it in stock and i got 900mm for $2.00,cheapest wood on the plane !Sorry i have been so long with this post but had some repairs to do on CZ [affordable glider,previous posts] and it is well on the way to a good recovery. Poor eye sight and two goes at the ailerons had it upside and going the wrong way. I put it aside for 2 weeks without so much as a sideways glance but felt it was time for a look and a repair.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
4x503 001.jpg
tigger

Postby owl » Wed May 14, 2014 8:38 pm

She looks really good :D
owl

Postby tigger » Wed May 14, 2014 8:53 pm

spar for aileron attachment has been masde from some 5mm nd have inlet the ribs into it. It's probaly a little heavy but i like the simplicity of solid balsa ailerons and the 5mm gives area for CA hinges which i also like. I cut them in half and use PVA glue squeezed into the slots and find this is less likely to stiffen the hinge.The black dotted lines show where the TE dihedral brace will fit [1/8" ply ].Next photo will show thetop part of the TE sitting in place.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
2x5 outer panel 002.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Wed May 14, 2014 9:03 pm

TE top skin just sitting in place and rough blue pattern for aileron. Square is holding tip in place for photo.I'm kinda still playing with aileron size and shape but this has worked on the CZ and modified Orion and i think a big area on slow movers like the 2x4 will improve control and seeing as it is solid balsa it will be easy to slice some off should i want to experiment a bit. I think now i will make up the opposite panel to this stage and shape up some real ailerons to get more of a look!
Cheers for now Tigger
Attachments
2x5 outer panel 003.jpg
tigger

Next

Return to Build Threads