ESM 83" Corsair - With a bit extra...

ESM 83" Corsair - With a bit extra...

Postby Toast » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:39 pm

This build thread is a duplicate of what I have posted on another forum. Should make for interesting reading for those who haven't seen it...

Enjoy.
Brett.

Well, finally cracked into my Horsehair after almost 2 years of sitting in the box here. Started by reinforcing the front of the fuse to cope with the 111cc flat twin that is going up the front. Not sure if any of you have noticed, but the only thing holding the front of the fuse/firewall to the rest of the fuse is a thin but joint. The fuse really relys on the "bucket" tying the fire wall and the first former together. Bit worried about those that have not used the "bucket" engine mount and just bolted a ply plate to the front of the fuse/firewall. Check for cracks guys!

I had the usual left thrust so cut the first former to give be right/down thrust. Then layed carbon/kevlar over all the front joints and epoxied the bucket mount in. While I was waiting for that to cure, I got stuck into Ty's fab cockpit kit so I could see where the tail servos need to move to. While doing this I couldn't help myself and got Mr Bowman out of his packet and into the "office". My wife thaught it was a great joke to catch me playing with "dollys" down stairs in the work shop. She ended up dressing Mr Bowman in all his flying gear, so who's the anorak now eh? :D

NExt up, motor mounting and tail end.....
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 76 - If a jobs worth doing, its a job well worth having done.
Toast

Re: ESM 83" Corsair - With a bit extra...

Postby Toast » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:44 pm

More done tonight. Gave up on the useless ESM elevator system, especially as they supplied the wrong bits!

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc58/toasttsaot/Corsair/IMG_0217.jpg

The servos are Hyperion 5kg titanium geared and will cope with the 6.6v im running in the plane. Horns are made from circuit board and hardware is all 4-40.
Used this system on the previous 3 ESM kits and works like a charm. Will make my stabs removable for transport - same as the Tigercat.
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 76 - If a jobs worth doing, its a job well worth having done.
Toast

Postby Toast » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:45 pm

Spent about an hour trying to find a piece of tube that would slide over the stab spar nicely - no dice. So I had to make my own. For those who have never done it before, here is how.

1. Spiral wrap the spar with thread tape (very thin white stuff from plumbers store) so there are no gaps and no overlaps.
2. cut a piece of heat shrink tube a bit longer than you need and shrink it lightly down over the spiral wrap. Dont worry about the odd crease or lump.
3. cut some fiberglass cloth (6 oz) into a square 10mm narrower than the heat shrink.
4. Spray adhesive one side of the cloth and wrap it around the heat shrink.
5. soak the cloth in thin CA. Make sure you dont let any run between the heat shrink and spar otherwise .....
6. when you have got your eye site back again from the CA fumes, carefully slide the tube off the spar. Remove the thread tape and the tube should slide back onto the spar nicely with no play.
7. wrap the tube in carbon tows or carbon cloth - your choice - and re-soak with CA. NOT TOO MUCH AT A TIME as this will create heat and shrink the heat shrink tube! Better still if you have any patience (I dont) use epoxy resin thinned 25% with methanol.
8. cut it to length. Dont use your best razor saw as it will blunten it pretty fast!

As you can see I made up some side plates to bind the whole tail together and give the tube something to glue to. I will add location bolts once its dry.
Toast

Postby Toast » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:20 pm

Decided I needed to have the tail retract removable (as the kits should be designed...) but there was so much wood missing I had nothing really to screw too. Thus the Heath Robinson setup below...

Finished the stab setup. Nice and stiff. Not sure if it will be very easy to get to the screws once all the other detritus is in there, but we will see. If not I have another cunning plan...

Next stop - Rudder! :roll:
Toast

Postby Toast » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Got the rudder in this morning. Eeeehhhhpppffff!!! Nuff said! After lots off coffee and staring I basically used their system but with a couple of mods. Didn't realize the rudder was warped until it was glued in! Bugger. Out with the clamps and tape and hot air gun. Not bad now. At least it wont fly in circles....

Man, gota do something with that tail wheel. Needs lots more structure to look right. found this......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlOEFtDUrxI
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70486 ... e_5/tm.htm

Right, what next? RETRACTS! Woo Hoo, my most least hated favorite job.......
Toast

Postby Toast » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Retracts and wheels are in! Made up track plates for the olios as the ESM stops are crap and slowly let your legs get longer resulting in the U/C jamming up. Not a great idea.....
Replaces all the bolts so I could get the wheel closer to the leg - and the stock ones are made of cheese. New 6mm bolt for wheel axle too.

Next was cowling. Pretty standard except for my patient lock screw system using nyrod inner to stop the cowling screws from vibrating out...

Then time to bolt that monster motor in the nose.

Toast

Postby Toast » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:33 pm

I hate linkages hanging out! So this is what I always do now. Zero slop!

Only just the plug caps sticking out. Pretty pleased with the cowling! And easy as to get to the carb!

Toast

Postby compy260 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Toast wrote:Well, finally cracked into my Horsehair after almost 2 years of sitting in the box here. Started by reinforcing the front of the fuse to cope with the 111cc flat twin that is going up the front. Not sure if any of you have noticed, but the only thing holding the front of the fuse/firewall to the rest of the fuse is a thin but joint. The fuse really relys on the "bucket" tying the fire wall and the first former together. Bit worried about those that have not used the "bucket" engine mount and just bolted a ply plate to the front of the fuse/firewall. Check for cracks guys!

My ESM kit was the same, altho it took about 100 or so flights before the firewall became 'unstuck'.

Nice build so far!!
compy260

Postby Toast » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:34 am

Thanks! Hopefully the firewall will be pretty solid now. So far so good.
Toast

Postby Dale » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:33 am

Nice work, good to see.

I love looking at the backgrounds of peoples pics, you always see some interesting stuff in their workshop, and quite a workshop you have it seems.
Dale

Next

Return to Build Threads