Hangar 9 P-40E Refurb

Re: Hangar 9 P-40E Refurb

Postby Dale » Wed May 07, 2014 8:27 pm

This deserves a midweek update.

Came home yesterday to find a package at the door. A package i have been waiting on for several months.

What was in this package?

Among other things, what may be the singular most coolest, awesomest and just plain fantastic model related item i have ever purchased:

And if it isn't clear, this is what it is and where it goes:

From Keleo Creations, https://www.keleo-creations.com/
Check them out if scale exhausts is something you could be interested in. Keleo was very helpful, sending me pdf drawings, measurements and advice prior to me pushing the buy now button, so many thanks.

There is a level of irony here, in that this exhaust is built specifically for the Hangar 9 P-40 +OS 91 4st. (Each exhaust is custom made to suit the specific airframe and engine combo as you specify.)
While this is correct in this case, at the same time i am doing my best to convert this airframe from a Hangar 9 to Top Flite. (Keleo doesn't specifically offer a Top Flite P-40+ OS91 combo exhaust).
However, the two airframes are similar enough that i will make it work. Previously stated, but it breaks down like this. The firewall, (and airframe aft of), including the mount, thrustline, right thrust, downthrust etc etc are all Hangar 9. I am then dressing this with Top Flite cowls.

In the first pic, adjacent the Keleo name, is two fuel connection barbs. The lower one, which has a supplied length of tubing on, is a drain (plugged except when required, e.g. refueling) and the upper one is for tank pressurization.
The exhaust attaches to the engine by the the standard exhaust port screwed pipe fitting, and two flanges that bolt with the the engine mounting. Can't be allowed to touch anything else, otherwise cracking will result. In the initial pic, you can see i have been too lazy to bolt it on properly. It may also appear to be twisted/offset, this is because it has side thrust built in. (this is why the bolting flanges are different sizes).

Weighs 111g, the standard OS exhaust is 50g.

This package also contained some fibreglass bits, from Craig at http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com who i have used before for cowls. Supply a great product, at a good price. These two US based companies worked together to combine shipping to me (at a considerable saving to me), so many thanks guys, and hopefully more work from NZ goes their way.

From left to right: Radial cowl for different project, P-40 lower cowl, P-40 lower cowl (inverted) and P-40 carb inlet scoop. Obviously i grabbed two lower cowls. (Just in case might need another one someday...)
These lower cowls are the same size and shape as the genuine T/F one, but is one piece fibreglass, as opposed to 4 piece ABS plastic, so a lot less work to make a complete cowl.

So very quickly threw the plane together to grab some pics.
These are quite literally just sitting in place, nothing is lined up or sized yet. (even the spinner is the wrong size). This is the work for the coming weeks. But looks good so far, and definitely meets my criteria of looking the part!

If i haven't already mentioned it, the missing upper part of the cowl is built-up, so hence why the 'glass cowl is only "half".
Some youtubes of the exhaust:

Dale

Postby Dale » Wed May 07, 2014 8:43 pm

And the "Radial cowl for different project":
But this is for some other time. (Did anyone say 50cc?). For those that are familiar with it, my still-not-finished Typhoon fuse can be made out behind for scale. (black plastic bag).
Dale

Postby tigger » Thu May 08, 2014 4:00 pm

Wow,just tossed all my gliders in the rubbish can and will look for a P-40 to put an exhaust on,Way too cool Dale.
Cheers Tigger
tigger

Postby Dale » Thu May 08, 2014 8:06 pm

Cheers Tigger.
Hope you only joking about the gliders. Just strap a motor on the front!

Found this thread which is an electric conversion of the same H9 P-40 into NZ3009. Quite different to mine, but an interesting read.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 251&page=1
Dale

Postby tigger » Thu May 08, 2014 9:32 pm

Yeah,had a look at RCGroups P-40 but i feel it's not quite right around the cowl area. My moneys on your one. I think you are at the enjoyable part of your project and it will be great watching it all come together.
Spot you later,Tigger
tigger

Postby Dale » Sun May 11, 2014 6:06 pm

I took the exhaust to show some club members, got plenty of oohhs and aahhs :D

So with them bits having arrived, it was into the front end.
This was always going to be a challenge, with the mating the two brands together. With the cowl and spinner being a specific size, obviously any and all woodwork had to be modified to suit these.

As well as this, of course i have to get the exhaust into the front end. This took a bit of head scratching, i considered making the upper cowl out of removeable fibreglass panels, but just decided to do a modified version of the TF plan.

I also had to get the front end to a better looking size and shape. The P-40 has quite distinctive curves in the cowl area, so these have to be somewhere correct.

So the first part is to build up the upper cowl. In TF's, you just glue in large blocks between the ply spinner ring and the firewall, and sand them to shape. I went for a sheeted nose, party to cut weight, and partly cause i didn't have decent thick balsa to follow their plan!
Build up in progress. You can also see sheeting on the top, building up the top to the correct height and shape. (previous post refers to the canopy not fitting properly in this area).

Next stage. I strip planked this area due to the numerous curves involved.

And where it is at at this time. (excuse the horrible mess of filler!)
It will be noted that i cut the cowl flaps off, these will be reattached later.
The TF and H9 noses are different lengths, when measured from the wing leading edge to the prop driver face, with the TF being about 20mm longer. (Of course this is then what length the cowl is made to suit).

Predicting nose weight will required in future, i elected to push the engine as far forward as possible, and got it about 14mm further forward the the H9 instructions. This is the limit of the included engine mount, and if i went any further forward, i would then have to (because of the right thrust) then have to move the engine mount sideways, thus moving the blind nuts embedded in the firewall etc etc. So 14mm it was to be.
I did have to then shorten the cowl, otherwise the cowl flaps would be in the wrong place under the wing, hence why they are removed at this time.

Good progress, but still got plenty of work up front, gotta sort out a cowl attachement point at the front (i.e. behind the spinner), exhaust ports, fuel proofing, blending, sanding, cowl cutouts and the top scoop to attach yet.

Not obvious, but if you compare the area at the front of the wing dowel bulkhead (i.e. bottom of the fuel tank bay), i have cut this off at an angle, with the ultimate goal of more space between this plate and the bottom (inside) of the cowl. More on this later.
Dale

Postby Dale » Sun May 18, 2014 6:49 pm

Haven't done a huge amount this week, but what we do have is this:
This is the underside of the nose area. In front is the inside of the new upper cowl, the firewall is visible with the blind nuts in place, immediately behind is tank bay, which i have cut the bottom off.
I have cut the bottom off this so i can raise the bottom up, because in between the floor of the tank bay and the inside of the cowl will sit the retract fill valve, fuel fill valve and fuel vent hardware, as well as holes for cooling airflow. (These items will sit directly above the cowl flaps.)
I glassed the inside of the upper cowl, to give the strip planking some more rigidity, and also fuelproofed from the spinner ring to the rear of the tank bay inclusive.
I'll sort out the throttle pushrod and tank mounting before gluing the new tank bay floor in place.

Now excuse the slightly alternate reality look of these images: (They are upside down)
The exhaust (and engine) sitting in place. Got a lot to do yet, this is only loosely sitting, and got a bit of work around trimming the hole in the cowl for the exhaust. Eventually will end up with a sausage shaped slot for the exhaust to poke through, and will fit some aluminium tape around the edges for heat protection.

Finally, a pic of the engine/exh in place, sans cowl.
Dale

Postby tigger » Wed May 21, 2014 9:46 pm

Hey there Dale, the engine and exhaust fitting is coming along a treat and really the engine and cowl shape are made for each other. Now this is where you may be able to help me out. You manage to take beautiful clear shots of your plane for us all to drool over,can you share just how you achieve this. Mine have deteriorated somewhat since i have changed my lighting above the work bench to fluorescence.
Cheers Tigger
tigger

Postby Dale » Thu May 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Hey Tigger, what you don't see is the remaining two-thirds of the photos i take that aren't worth keeping! I do spend a bit of time mucking around taking photos.
I'm generally using my SLR for pics, (getting it covered in balsa dust in the process), and as you well know, sorting the white balance is the first thing! You can see the same thing in my pics, one ones on the workbench/garage are under fluro and set right, i then came inside and the one of the fuse inverted in the last post i didn't set that, hence why the yellow tint to it under incandescent lighting. I often use aperture priority so i can sort the focus at the expense of everything else.
Dale

Postby compy260 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:12 pm

Looking good Dale. Its really coming together. :) :)

Kittyhawk.jpg
compy260

PreviousNext

Return to Build Threads