1/7 Harvard Conversion

Re: 1/7 Harvard Conversion

Postby Dale » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 pm

Getting close!
The wing is done, (other than a couple of minor details that will take seconds and the markings). Wing AUW is 1938 grams. The three flap servos are all on one channel. Had to reverse one servo, which i did by opening the servo and reversing the wires. Retracts work sweet.
DSC05803.JPG

DSC05804.JPG

Fuse is also almost done, canopy has been tinted to near black and fitted, might have a further idea for that in future. To fit it, i added a small blob of car bog behind each mounting point, then drilled and tapped it, and screwed a 3mm clear plastic machine screw and washer into it.
DSC05808.JPG

All the radio gear is in, have put the batt switches in front of the canopy on the black anti glare panel where they blend in.

Ignition module is in, fastened it onto a small bracket below the motor. Just gotta do some slight extension to the the exhaust outlet, then can fit the cowl.
DSC05810.JPG

Will be endeavouring to undertake some engine runs in the next few days, and first flight within the next 2 weeks.
Dale

Postby Dale » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:23 pm

Been a couple of weeks since update, sorry about that.
What have i done lately? Got the exhaust finished, which consisted of a little bit of shagging around, but now is all sorted and i'm pleased. All radio gear in + tested + set, had some engine runs, and lots of little jobs done. AUW (enpty tank) is 5.2kg, and almost unbelieveably, i had to add 230g of lead to the firewall, despite this motor being heavier than anything else this machine has carried previously. I guess a little paint/epoxy down aft goes a long way!
Also made up some wing bags, the silver/foam underlay is available at Bunnings for $3.50 in the flooring section.
Really the only construction item left is to fit the vinyl markings, which have been delayed slightly.
In short, it's ready for a test flight, which has to be in the next week to prove she flies before boxing it up and sending it down south.
Watch this space!
Dale

Postby Dale » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:30 pm

Latest pics. Due to the crap weather today, lounge floor again.
Note the "scale" exhaust location!

Dale

Postby Dale » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:01 pm

Gotta have the pic, it might not ever look this good again!

First flight was a success! (Well almost, read on).
Raced down to me club this afternoon in the calm weather so spent a while spent running the engine and taxiing, and some briefing notes i gave the Tx to me old man for the honors. By this time, i had the cowl off to give the needles a slight tweak.
Off she went down the runway in a scale like fashion and climbed away nicely. By all accounts it flew nicely, without issue at all. Gear stayed extended, and flaps retracted. had around 6-7 min of good stooging around, no trimming at all required (a first!).
Carried out some landing approaches, and on the "last" one the engine quit at 20ft half way down the strip, so quickly pulled up the gear and bellied her in on the peat, with no damage other than the prop. Glided this last stage in pretty nicely actually, so looks good for proper landings! Cleaned it up a bit, new prop, and was setting the tune again for another go when the sun disappeared over the horizon and had to call it a day, but will call it a success. Home to clean it properly and give it a good going over to check all is well. Hoping to have time to give it another flight before it is packed in the box for the trip south, but more urgently i need to spend some time getting familiar with tuning 2 stroke petrol motors!

It flies!

Used:
Motor batt = 450mAh
Rx batt = 500mAh
Dale

Postby spitfirekid » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Congrats Dale! 8-) 8-) 8-)
Well done , a credit to you on the build and congrats to ya Dad for putting her in the air, Team work!!

look forward to seeing her fly
spitfirekid

Postby Dale » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Cheers man, was great to see her flying, can't wait to have my turn, but at this stage also happy to watch it being flown myself.
Dale

Postby Dale » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:23 am

She made it to Forsyth, and had 4 flights there.
Spent some time mucking around with tuning, and really getting to like the motor, mostly as i get more familiar with it, and the confidence grows.
First two were under Dad's pilotage again, then i got brave and took it for drive, and felt pretty good.
Landing was a little fast, as (i found out afterwards) the muffler had come lose, so idle speed was around 4000rpm!, however the long runway and grass overrun brought her to a stop and all was well.
Dad another flight the next day, first flight with cowl on, (sorry didn't get any pics of this one!), landing was a bit challenging due to the ever increasing winds, (had to give the undercarriage a quick realignment afterwards), but all well.
Gear retracted all 4 flights, no issues there at all. Looks heaps better with it up! Gotta start getting used to using flaps now. Takeoffs are pretty easy, doesn't have the shortest takeoff run, but is fine. Is very controllable on the ground. Currently flying on a 15x6 Xoar prop, which results in nice scale flight. Has also flown on a 14x7, but preferred to trade the speed for thrust. Once the engine loosens up a little more might try a 15x7.
I spoke with several modellers down there who have read this blog, cheers for the interest guys, and thanks for your positive comments on her. Very pleased with everything.
(Also well done to all the CRFC and the Forsyth organisers, awesome event, so pleased i went down.)
So she has 5 flights under her wings now, and looking forward to getting the final details completed, (which is mostly just the markings) and then flying her regularly.
(Note I have now already starting thinking about the next project...)
DSC05933.JPG

DSC05929.JPG
Dale

Postby runfrcover » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Very nice Dale! I think even Dave would say that's a nice looking 'halftard'. I think I may have to give my Rambler similar treatment
Im liking what I hear about that engine
runfrcover

Postby Dale » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:20 pm

Cheers Mark. Has all been fairly easy, and very enjoyable.
Hopefully you'll see it at the club sometime.
I'm definitely a fan of 'glassing now, but even the solartex is miles better than the guaranteed-to-peel-off plastics.
Much enjoying the engine, I think I'm pretty much done with glow.
The Rambler is a good machine, might be worth a little work to keep it flying for a long time.
Dale

Postby Dale » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:44 pm

I hope this is the final post...
Finished! So very pleased with it.

Had a couple of great flights today with her, first flight in the full markings. Was enjoying flying it around so much on the first flight i ran it out of gas on approach! (In my defence, it was running quite rich, so it drank faster than i allowed for.) All good though. Really happy with the engine, a couple of clubmates have since bought one themselves, and i'm considering a larger unit from the same range for another project in future. Seems to be getting more powerful as she gets some hours on her, total running time will be under 4 hours at this stage, gonna try the 15x7 next flight.

Cheers to everyone who helped, supported and tuned in.
Dale
Dale

Previous

Return to Build Threads