1/7 Harvard Conversion

Re: 1/7 Harvard Conversion

Postby Dale » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:40 pm

Sorry about the pic quality, my SLR just went on holiday to the states, so cellphone pics from now on. (It also took the missus along with it :D )
Outer wing panels are next in the queue.
I originally had intended to just recover these (after changing the flap as per the centre section) with Solartex, for simplicity and weight, as they also have open bays, glassing of course doesn't work here.
However, thinking through the whole process, it decided in the long run it would be better to glass them. (extra support for the flap hinges, and so i can ensure the same finish all over.)
So i had to cut out the cap strips, and then sheet the open bays. Cheers John at JR Airsail, now you know where that 2mm balsa you just sent out went!
IMG_20130607_204507 (Medium).jpg

As part of this, i decided to put an extra servo in to operate the respective flap. (originally had a single centre servo, operated the outer sections by a wire joiner)
The aileron servos are mounted on sweet little plastic mount hatches, and those paying attention will appreciate why i have a "spare" set of these, so it was a pretty simple effort to simply replicate the aileron mount for the new flap servo. The new bay can be seen in the above pic, and below with the mounts.
IMG_20130608_095000 (Medium).jpg
Dale

Postby Dale » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Was just fitting the wing securing bolts, which meant i pretty much ended up with a good opportunity to "refill the enthusiasm tank" with a photo op:
2013-06-09 12.30.37.jpg
Looks like a glider wing from this perspective!

2013-06-09 12.42.59.jpg

2013-06-09 12.31.35.jpg

Recall this is a 6ft span, so there goes the lounge taken over as well.
And yes, before anyone asks, "unyellowing" the canopy is on the list.
Centre section is in process of being filled and and smoothed at moment.
Next major job will be to replicate the wing joint fairings. (More on that later.)
(Sharp eyes will also spot the rudder is covered. Even sharper eyes will have noticed this a couple of weeks ago...)
Dale

Postby Dale » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Hasn't been much progress in the last week, was away with work.
So here's one i prepared earlier:
Control surfaces, pretty much got stripped, quick sand and fill where needed.
DSC01468.JPG
Uncovered

And using some camera tricks:
DSC01469.JPG
Covered

Covering is unpainted solartex. Goes on beautifully, miles easier and looks better than any plastic iron-on i've ever played with.
IMG_20130617_210141.jpg
Ailerons

Regarding previous pics, had some comments about how "bad" the canopy looks, so working on something else there.
Also have a cowl former in progress.
Dale

Postby Dale » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:31 pm

Wings are done, all sanded and smooth. Took quite a bit of effort, and more than one can of high-build spray, (most of which now coats the inside of the vacuum cleaner).
Next job is the wing joint fairings-
The (1:1 scale) Harvard has an interesting feature in that the outer wings are fairly easily removeable, being held on with a flange around the outside of the wing joints, with about a million bolts holding the two flanges (and thus the wings) together. This then has a simple cap over top to make it a little more aerodynamic, and a whole lot more aesthetic.
This is typical of the detail that really makes aircraft unique, and yet is missed from many ARF's, so i was determined to replicate this somehow.
What i did was sandwich a sheet of 1.5mm between the two wings, (after cutting clearance for the various joining hardware), and then gluing 6mmx6mm strip all the way around, on both sides of the sheet. Toyed with trying to bend it, but just ended up cutting in short lengths and (badly) fitting them individually.
This is then removed from the wing, and sanded to about the size and shape i wanted.
Good thing about this is completely covers the joint on the wing sections, (duh!) so hiding any misalignment or gap.
IMG_20130623_192653.jpg
My wing joiner strip covers

And the result looks a million times better already, at the rough sanding stage.
IMG_20130623_193557.jpg

And re canopy, i decided (after some prompting) that the factory canopy just looks crap.
Did some research on the old interwebs, and about the only one i could find of a similar size is from Top Flite.
Interestingly, Top Flite did a kit, of 69" span, which of course had the old cut it out and paint it yourself canopy.
More recently, the kit has been discontinued, but they now do a 69" ARF. You would think this was the kit, just assembled by someone else, but apparently not.
However both canopies are available for a few bucks, so i grabbed one of each.
Yes, they are different...
IMG_20130623_195531.jpg

In silver is the Top Flite ARF version, the yellow is the World Models ARF (as seen in previous post) and behind, unpainted and uncut, is the T/F kit one. (You would have thought the two T/F canopies would be the same, but quite different in size, frame molding etc)
They are all within cooee of each other lengthwise, but the T/F ARF is around 1/2" lower in height than the other two. I haven't got the machine back together in order to to do some comparative testing, but i think i know which one i prefer.
Dale

Postby Dale » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:34 pm

This week consisted of a lot more sanding and painting, including a lot of old ground. The entire wing and fuse got another going over.
I'm about to track down some pinstripe tape, (for that "painted over tape" look) and start putting panel lines on, a job for after school this week in front of tv me thinks.
Canopy, was a simple decision, going with the Top Flite silver ARF jobbie.
The control surfaces are now painted. The 1:1 machine had silver doped control surfaces, so in my case this is silver paint on the solartex.
Hinged all the surfaces (except flaps) with Robart hinge points. The pack of hinges i got included a drilling jig, which has instantly made it onto my list of how-did-i-ever-live-without-it-and-now-indispensable tools, so for the first time since it was yellow all the (main) bits are in place. (nothing glued yet till after topcoating.)
The cowl is continuing to "do my head in", i thought i would take the easy route (ha) of using the top flite corsair cowl as a male mold, but this has pretty much turned into a disaster, for several reasons. However, onwards, so working on plan B.
Unfortunately, this has held me up a bit, i gotta have this done in 4 weeks from now, so i got time to test fly prior to sending it to Forsyth.
Hopefully have something underway for the cowl this week, as well as panel lines and gear doors.
IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2721.JPG

(And the jury is still out regarding pilot/cockpit).
Dale

Postby Dale » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Spent about 8 hours applying pinstripe tape around the place. Been through 3 rolls of 3mm from Repco at $11 per roll.
IMG_2723.JPG

Then started painting.
Barf at the RNZAF Museum, who painted the 1:1 NZ1050, has been excellent providing information, including paint codes. However, I was let down by the West Auckland automotive painting industry, several members of who told me in no uncertain terms that they just wouldn't help, or "that's not our product, go google it to find out who might have it", so i gave up trying to find the matching paint, and a trip to Mitre 10 to grab a few spraycans in the closest matches available. (at least i don't have to clean up the spray gear this way.
Wing after 1st coat. It seems that the metallic gloss definitely shows up every slight blemish. I'll probably get over that though.
IMG_2725.JPG

Also found a cowl supplier in the US who has one perfect, so have ordered a couple.
Also started making up some gear doors, will be same idea as on the Typhoon.
Dale

Postby Dale » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Painting has been the main goal this week, when possible.
The entire thing got the aluminium coverage, and now am into the orange (dayglo). Gotta do the rear fuse yet, and the matt black anti glare panel forward of the cockpit. All is hardware store enamels, so need a fuelproof topcoat before i can call it done.
Have also drawn up the markings, will be getting them made up soon.
IMG_2728.JPG

Am quite pleased with the look of the "aluminium" wing and the "silver doped" aileron.
This is just one small part of the info I got from Barf at the Air Force Museum that is proving to be very helpful!
Harvard 1959 Silver-Orange Scheme-page-002.jpg
Dale

Postby Dale » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Painting painting!
All the coloured parts are done (except for some details), am now in the process of applying a clear petrol resistant topcoat over the whole thing.
Really makes the aluminium look good in particular.
Much appreciative of the guys at Car Colours on the North Shore, these guys have been great with suggestions, test sprays etc. Although one major lesson has been learnt by me, next time i build a I/C model, i'll talk to them first and plan the whole paint process a bit more coherently, with better product/results.
Also have a cowl, i grabbed two radials, 7.5" dia x 6" long, which will be cut short to suit, from http://fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/, arrived a few days ago, perfectly packaged and well made, only took me about half an hour of work time before i was squirting topcoat onto it.
DSC05777.JPG

As the bits get their clear coat, they move to the reassambly stage. Have the centre section flap in place, retracts and doors.
Pics don't do it justice, but it looks good so far!
DSC05781.JPG

DSC05785.JPG

DSC05788.JPG
Dale

Postby Dale » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:03 pm

The pile of bits is getting smaller as it turns back into a single mass.
All the control surfaces are properly reinstalled now, the hingepoints are glued in. I like these things! Definitely more work than CA hinges, but the extra work show up in a better joint. As its the first time i've used them in anger, i spend a while researching on the interwebs, and got them in no problems.
Rudder and elevator servos are in, and pushrods reconnected. These are just the supplied items reinstalled.
Tailwheel is on.
Engine mount, engine, fuel tank, throttle servo and made a carbon pushrod are all in.
Made up the Canty crest on the fin, this was a graphic supplied by the RNZAF Museum, which i printed on glossy self adhesive label paper, then put some clear tape over. Stuck in place, then clearcoated over.
Cowl fitted, used a Dubro cowl mounting system, was about to try make something similar till i spied this in the shop.
Still gotta fit the engine batt, switch, ignition system and muffler, rx batt and switch, aileron and flap pushrods, canopy, cut cowl holes, paint cowl anti-glare panel, and all those seemingly thousands of other small jobs...
DSC05802.JPG
Dale

Postby DH100 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:23 am

It will surely look the part in it's new scheme. Great stuff.

When I was a kid the Air Force used to have an annual Open Day at Whenuapai and Hovsonville. For a couple of days during the week prior ( weather permitting) a Harvard could be see well above Auckland, skywriting an advertisement as a promo for the coming event.

Most likely they were all silver then with very little decoration.... an indication of how ancient I'm getting!

Keep up the good work.
Brian
DH100

PreviousNext

Return to Build Threads