1/7 Harvard Conversion

Re: 1/7 Harvard Conversion

Postby Dale » Sun May 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Fuse = done.
Completed the glassing, (including the second fill coat of filler epoxy).
Gave it a rubdown, then hit it with a good coat of automotive highbuild primer.
Touchups where required with a second coat and/or a single pot filler compound. (I'm not a fan of automotive "bog" fillers, just too hard they are a pain) and sand all over and we are ready to paint.
Painting will wait though until all the various bits are done, then will hit it all at once.
If my math is correct, the sealing, glassing, filling, priming etc came to something in the region of 50-60g. Perhaps a little more practise would result in lesser numbers, but thats not a lot of weight over a model this size.
DSC01472.JPG
Fuse in process of final sand
Dale

Postby Dale » Sun May 19, 2013 8:56 pm

So the next bit I'm tackling is the wing centre section.
Pics uploaded previously, if you look carefully you'll note one of the alu tubes was bent, this has been straightened.
Am in process of filling and fairing this, but i think i better put some thought into the u/c, in case i need to do some wood mods to fit.
Will be using some form of electronic servoless retracts.
Also got the flaps challenge too.
Will glass this centre section, both top and bottom, in 48gm/m2 glass. It's sheeted pretty thin, have already broken it twice though rough handling, and this area will get a lot of knocks during transport etc.
Dale

Postby Dale » Mon May 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Flaps.
I want to hinge the flaps a bit better than factory, being standard centre hinged, with bevelled leading edge, giving a big ugly gap, and, only about 30° of travel. This means i needed bottom hinged.
I spent ages pondering this, checking out different hinge types, but kept getting stumped with the dual challenges of split flaps, and them flap sections only being about 9mm thick. This prevented me putting robart hingepoints in, which i am using on other control surfaces. Eventually decided to go for external hinges. (Which are not scale, but will look cool).
DSC01488.JPG
Hinge

Made up new flaps, about 6 lams of 1.5mm and recessed the tabs of the hinges into the flap and trailing edge.
Epoxied them in place, then will glass right over the mounting tabs to extra security.
Pics prior to glassing. Have since pulled the pins from the hinges to seperate them for glassing and painting.
End result looks pretty good, and looks and works better than factory = success!
DSC01489.JPG
Closed flap

DSC01492.JPG
Flaps down! (a few degress excess, but something like this)

Also working on the remainder of the centre section, giving it a tidyup, and will glass soon.
Have identified the Eflite 60-120 retracts will "bolt in" without mod, so have ordered a pair, these are in the post now, once they come, will confirm the fit then finish up and glass the centre section.
Dale

Postby Dale » Mon May 27, 2013 9:03 pm

Was also tinkering around with the fuse, starting to think about all the other bits that have to happen prior to painting.
The Havard has a couple of intake scoops immediately aft of the cowl, one underneath, and one on port side.
These are pretty rough fibreglass moldings, i'm just gonna give them a quick sand then put them back on. Originally just stuck on, but now at least i can blend them in with some filler. (are a bit overscale i think, but i can't be bothered making uber scale bits like this! "Cartoon Scale" is my motto :D
So it goes like this:
Mount against cowl aft edge.
This meant i need to know exactly where the cowl is to mount. (The original mounting location disappeared in the fuse/firewall repairs)
This meant i need to know exactly where the engine must be to mount the cowl
This meant i need to assemble the engine on the mount.
This meant i found out the engine mount i is actually incompatible with the engine at the mounting distance required.
This also identified the fact that the muffler won't fit in the classic position, as the rear of the muffler will hit the firewall. Thankfully, i can reverse the muffler, (have it pointing "forward" alongside the carb, and it will fit sweet.

So to glue these on, i need to find an engine mount!
DSC01494.JPG
Port scoop in approx position, with original cowl. (That's a whole nother job to fix and fit!)
Dale

Postby spitfirekid » Mon May 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Looking very nice Dale, im impressed!
and the perfect paint scheme you have chosen as well
Cant wait to see it at the field :D
spitfirekid

Postby Dale » Tue May 28, 2013 7:43 pm

Thanks for the reply, it's a bit of a ghost town around here, so good to see some life, and know people are reading!
Yeah, definitely looking forward to having this one on the field, hoping to have it flying early Aug. (Hoping to take it to Forsyth, so need it bedded in prior).
My next build thread will "suit" you a bit too.
Dale

Postby spitfirekid » Tue May 28, 2013 9:16 pm

sounds interesting,, thinking out loud here ,,,,,Spitfire,,,,,,,,
im still building the mk2b spitfire that i showed you and are now also building same scale size Hurricane, its a mk2 but will be removing canons and fitting in the 8 browning machine guns and turning it into a mk1 so it keeps in with my Battle of Britain era planes. and of course in the colours of one of our boys machines,
spitfirekid

Postby Dale » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:45 pm

Progress this week hasn't amounted to a lot
2013-06-03 20.28.40.jpg

Fuse, (inverted).
Note the new flap in grey primer, and the scoops now fitted and being faired in.
The cowl is from a Top Flite 60 sized Corsair, which is a very close fit.

Regarding cowl, i have decided not to refit the original, (or replace it with like), as it is a pretty crappy product, and the wrong shape and size.
Therefore, will be making my own, a job to get to in the next couple of weeks.

Raided the spares box, found a engine mount that with a slight tweak, am using, which puts the rearmost part of the engine only a few mm clear of the firewall, so i can go somewhere towards making the front end slightly more scale. (Out of the box, the ARF nose is pretty long, with a really long cowl. The real Harvard has quite a short cowl.)

Spending a lot of time going between a couple of great references websites: (both NZ too) http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/17601 and http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/harvard.html check 'em out if you wanna see some excellent pics.
Dale

Postby DH100 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:20 pm

I agree with the comment about the colours ...great choice. Looking good Dale.
DH100

Postby Dale » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:24 pm

Retracts arrived. Pictured is one of them, with the original beside. I've simply pulled the leg out of the original, and fitted to the new. Pretty simple in theory. (Needs a sleeve, but them's details).
IMG_20130608_094616 (Medium).jpg

Only needed a couple of minor adjustments to the sheeting around the mount, and a quick buzz inside the slot to clear the retract motor, and they fit right in. They even work too!
IMG_20130608_111959 (Medium).jpg

Doors will come later on.
Now that this part is sorted, i can glass and fill etc this centre section and move onwards.
Dale

PreviousNext

Return to Build Threads