DH Vampire 1/5th Scale prototype - Kit

Re: DH Vampire 1/5th Scale prototype - Kit

Postby DH100 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:27 pm

A long time ago I made a mould for making the hangers that were used to hold and hinge the cannon bay access panels in place along their top edges. The slots have been cut in the fuselage forever and today I found I had four little mouldings made. All that was required was to check the fit and paint then set them in place. I also completed the gun troughs in the lower front panels by adding some 4mm ID tube for the barrels.
Cannon Bay Hanger.JPG

Gun troughs and Cannons.JPG

As part of all this I had to strip out the tanks to get access and make sure all was clean and tidy ...and it needed a vacuum.. and in the process I found that I could relocate a "C" size 5 Cell battery from just ahead of the CG cg to right up at the front under the nose cap. The battery is for the hydraulic retract system and this is good news for the CG situation as a couple of people I've spoken to who have built single seat Vampires have had to add 8 oz or more of ballast to the nose. It really is a stubby little snout! I regret I'll be struggling keeping it under 15 KG which was a target and being just a little over is no consolation. If I took the time to make epoxy booms and fins it would probably reduce the all up weight by a reasonable margin. That's a fall back position for another day!
DH100

Postby DH100 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:26 pm

I’ve spent some time over the last few days on some final fitting of the various parts around the nose leg and the door assembly. I have ended up with an understanding of the frustration of the ground staff in setting up the same full size assembly! Almost everything that is adjusted has impact in some way on something else and miniaturising it has compounded accessibility issues. Patience is a virtue so they say.
IMG_1742.JPG

The hydraulic system has tested fine after a long rest, apart from a little heart flutter at first as I finally realised that by reducing the throw of the servo operating the spool valve, that “pulse” value (or what ever you call it) had been reduced via the end point adjustment on the TX to the point that it wouldn’t trigger the little magic box controller. After re-jigging the servo horn set up all works fine. The system is very robust and the testing of the hydraulics over the last couple of the days has been very encouraging.
IMG_1743.JPG

On the way I found I could relocate the hydraulics battery right to the front end. Any way you look at it, the model needs as much useful weight up the front so the more useful the better.
IMG_1744.JPG

Good progress
DH100

Postby DH100 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:15 pm

It's been a frustrating few days as I rubbed back all the boom markings and put them in the right place and with some very non-standard font as per the pics I have.
Boom markings final.JPG

I also fitted the nose door properly, so step by step it's getting there. I have also finally completed all the spray through stencils.
Vampire Nose door final fit.JPG

Lower Fuse Stencil Starter.JPG

Lower Fuse Stencil Fuel Drain.JPG

Some parts arrived via the Polar route from Germany for my trusty Behtoec J-66. I bench tested it today so now I have a dilemma as I have a lovely 120 size Turbine from my friend in Australia, Neil Giggins. He makes a quality product, the downside of this one is that it's 500 grams heavier that the 66 but of course it has around 50% more available power. They both fit which allows me the luxury of mixing and matching. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's final weight will have it fall just outside the F4C Rules, which is a shame.
On a lighter note, my daughter was scouring though boxes of family photographs and came up the the B & W image of your's truly peering into a Vampire cockpit at a 1956 "Airforce Day", Whenuapai Airbase, which is in Auckland for those who will not know.
Vampire Airforce Day 1955 or 56 (Medium).jpg

Quite prophetic in it's own way and I guess you could say I've been building it all that time! Note the P51 in the background.
DH100

Postby DH100 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:05 pm

I thought those interested in the Stencil process might like to see these pics so here are some images of the system The un-used "PULL AND TURN" mask gives an idea of the laser cut card. This font is 2.5mm high.
Pull out and Turn.JPG
Pull out and Turn.JPG (106.81 KiB) Viewed 4123 times

Below, the "PLUMB BOB " Stencil was applied to the Leading edge of the Tailplane and is shown here being applied to the nose of the Port wing root air intake.
Plumb Bob painted.JPG

You can see how little over-spray there is on the paper masking tape, an indication of how little paint was applied.
Plumb Bob Final.JPG
DH100

Postby DH100 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:18 pm

I made the fixing plates for the Boom rubbers. The rubbers are cast in urethane and done a long time ago. The bumpers are screwed to contoured plates, then the plates screwed to the underside of the boom. I used 1.0mm screws from opticians supplies and filed the heads down.
Boom Bumper Rubber 1.JPG

Boom Bumper Rubber Final.JPG

On the port boom I also fitted the tailcone complete with light fitting and the rudder trim tab. The tab needs it’s “NO HAND” stencil sprayed but I’ll wait until the starboard tailcone is done … tomorrow.
Port Boom tail end complete.JPG
DH100

Postby DH100 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:01 pm

Two and a half weeks before I can get out of my sling ..rotator cuff surgery ..... but at least I can do a little with both hands now so I managed to make a couple of antennas - one for the port wing tip underside and one for the port boom. They plug in to silicon seats so can be removed and so not get the way or get broken off.
IMG_1793.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

IMG_1795.JPG

I also decided to try and finish a little Doug McHard designed ME109 rubber scale model. Really nice to work with balsa in this simple form and things happen pretty quickly . Time will tell how it flies ...maybe at the Nationals, maybe not.
IMG_1796.JPG
DH100

Postby DH100 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Starting to fill up a black hole with details painted black. Not a lot of this will be seen, particularly with the pilot in situ! Never mind, its all part of the game really.
IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

IMG_1805.JPG

The lowest image is what you will see from the cockpit sill, however instrument panel block out the middle section.
I have not a clue what the heel boards were made of but they do not look metallic in any of the pics I have, so plywood they are. There are some cables to be run - dummy of course. Then on to the control column.
DH100

Postby DH100 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Starting to fill up a black hole with details painted black. Not a lot of this will be seen, particularly with the pilot in situ! Never mind, its all part of the game really.
IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

IMG_1805.JPG

The lowest image is what you will see from the cockpit sill, however instrument panel block out the middle section.
I have not a clue what the heel boards were made of but they do not look metallic in any of the pics I have, so plywood they are. There are some cables to be run - dummy of course. Then on to the control column.
DH100

Postby DH100 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:21 pm

I went some way to completing the pilots seat before going on a break down country. I have yet to attach the lap belt.
IMG_2909.JPG

Still more dark coloured items in a black hole.
IMG_2906.JPG

Not too much will be done now until after our National Championships are done and dusted. I've chosen not to compete in R/C Scale due to my less that fully functioning left arm after shoulder surgery but I get to be Contest Director and most likely a judge. Lucky me!
DH100

Postby DH100 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:58 pm

Back on the job with a one arm handicap. It would have been oh so nice to have had a simple pole with a handgrip, but such is not the case as you can see. There is still some tidying up to do and the brake lever to add as well as cables and wiring from the yoke.
Control column base - Copy.JPG
Control column base - Copy.JPG (80.28 KiB) Viewed 911 times

Control column basic assy.JPG

Control column yoke - Copy.JPG

IMG_1850 - Copy.JPG

Control column without brake lever.JPG

All the rest of the cockpit is such a jumble of bits and pieces and there is so much of it it’s become a little daunting. I’m still about 6 weeks away from any major lifting.
DH100

Previous

Return to Build Threads