Well been AWOL for a while. No all wasted time but more a matter of diversity!
So a lot of what I’ve done recently has been re-hashing work done previously but all around the modified top fuselage section hence not a lot of pics. One of the biggies was to try blowing a canopy and I regret that at this stage I’ve put up the white flag on that one. Here are some of pics of the set-up I worked with, alas not up to spec.
Set up the base on the Vac former
The ill fated clamping plate
One of the positive results
The previous was turned into a pluc for a female mould.
I will get back to it however in the meantime I have made one of the two female moulds as per our old Airsail Piper Tomahawk and Neil Schrader’ Sptifire canopy mouldings. Result is OK and I’m being told I’m too fussy by some. I have yet to make the second mould for the outer skin and will do so shortly. The blow moulding will work and as you see I have some minor encouragement but the engineering, the clamping pressure and the air control are the critical aspects and in my haste I was wide of the mark. Also, I really want to use Acrylic (Perspex) as it polishes beautifully, where PET-G just doesn’t.
So, I’m working rearwards along the fuselage with a view to painting the fuselage pod this month. I have the canopy rails sorted, the little side doors all fitting well and the Fuel Cap cut out done and dusted. The top rear hatch is next and that will probably be the first item to be painted.
The first reasonable moulding from the female mould. Next is the outer skin, essentially a slightly larger canopy bonded to the inner one.
Apart from that my bench is crowded at the moment with the resurrection of my sport jet and some further mods to the Miles Hawk .. this time adjusting the thrustline and the horizontal stab incidence. Not enough hours in the day.