Rudder or ailerons for turning

Rudder or ailerons for turning

Postby ZL2BMH » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:54 pm

Hello All.

I have read the books, magazines and followed the help video's on youtube and it really is half a dozen of one to 6 of the other.

Should, when I make a turn, in a RC plane use the rudder or ailerons. Surely one of them is the correct way.

Your thoughts gratefully received.
Jim. :roll:
ZL2BMH

Re: Rudder or ailerons for turning

Postby ZL2BMH » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:16 am

Thank you Bruce, I appreciate what you have said. I have bought two trainer planes, Cessna, foam 747, with a wingspan of 3ft, 4ch. The other which I am taking my time to finally put together is the Piper "Starmax" 4ch J3 Cub, foam, wingspan just over 4ft.

Both these planes are ARF. I made the following purchases after reading a lot of books, magazines and watching Video's on youtube.

I also bought the combo, Phoenix v5 Simulator with the Spektrum DX6i txmitter. I absolutely love this setup. I spend up to 30mins, at least 6 times a day and have been doing this for a fortnight now ( since I received it) and I'm so glad I spent the money on it. I estimate I will be using this for something like 3-4 months until I'm ready to take my solo flight. But to reiterate, for beginners this simulator is absolute 'gold'.

I understand what you mean with regards to the type of plane you fly as to whether you use rudder or ailerons or part of both. I do find however that it's easier to line the runway up with a bit of rudder. While being a complete beginner I want to learn the proper way so I don't have to change later.

Thanks again Bruce for your excellent advice.
Regards,
Jim.
ZL2BMH

Postby ZL2BMH » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:41 pm

Thank you for the very fine offer Bruce. I live in New Plymouth, where I'm retired but unfortunately badly paralyzed after a rugby accident while on tour with the Junior AB's, and finally finished off due to an altercation while serving in the Police, in a little sole charge station in the back country. My wife and medical people are all for me getting involved in RC planes as it gets me outside, something that I have been hiding from, as you'd understand.

I will be seeing you sooner than you think once the weather picks up as we have friends in Hamilton and Rotorua whom we hope to start seeing again. I am also a radio "ham" but you don't get outside and meeting people in this very fine hobby.

Regards,
Jim.
ZL2BMH

Postby GFriend » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:59 pm

Afternoon Jim, as you are in New Plymouth, there are active MFNZ affiliated clubs within your region that would suit yourself a lot better when it comes to learning flying, radio and model setup and the legal responsibilities that relate to this hobby.
Another bonus is that if your flying within and under MFNZ your also protected by the bodies public liability insurance package. A list of MFNZ affiliated clubs local to you are as per the attached web address:

http://modelflyingnz.org/southernnorth.htm

The use of a good flight sim like Phoenix is a good option (I have Phoenix 5 myself), but please just be aware that the physics and flight characteristics of the models within are not really like the real world counterparts, though it helps with thumb memory and orientation control, but for best results you should be working with an approved instructor at a local club to get the most from it (a lot of clubs have dedicated trainers to help new pilots get off the ground and gain their wings badge - which can be a mandatory requirement at or within specific locations and situations).

All the best, and welcome to the hobby.

Regards,
Graham.

PS - My advice is don't get the 747 to start with!!
GFriend

Return to Beginners/Starting Out