New CAA Rules with one week lead time

Re: New CAA Rules with one week lead time

Postby SteveG » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:45 am

Here's a link to the new Auckland Council interim rules for regional parks:

http://regionalparks.aucklandcouncil.go ... drones.pdf

Thank goodness for common sense.

Any thoughts on Cornwall Park, which isn't covered?
SteveG

Postby skipper » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:51 pm

Hi, new member here. I found this forum to try to clarify how the new CAA regulations apply to us hobby fliers. Obviously they have brought in these new rules to protect the public from morons with FPV camera drones, as there have been a lot of complaints from the public lately. Unfortunately the over the top response from the CAA is to effectively ban anybody from flying anything (including a kite or balloon) anywhere, unless they apply for and receive consent from the landowner and all persons below.
I have started a discussion with the Whangarei District Council via email to find out their position regarding flying hobby craft over public parks. So far they have quoted their bylaw forbidding landing of any aircraft in public places, but are open to discussion regarding model airplanes. Will keep you posted.
skipper

Postby skipper » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:12 pm

Great news SteveG, I have copied this to my local council. The 1m wingspan limit for fixed winged powered planes is a bit limiting though. Rules out my Club Trainer which is by design a very safe and easy plane to fly, but allows me to fly faster less stable aerobatic planes just because they have a smaller wingspan. Go figure.
skipper

Postby SteveG » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:47 pm

Yes, it's a bit ironic that they've chosen to limit wingspan. Small fast and missile-like is ok while wide, slow and stable is not. I'm going to look at building something with exactly 1m wingspan. Good luck with your local council skipper.
SteveG

Postby skipper » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:55 pm

Hooray, Whangarei council has granted my request to fly whenever I want (taking into account other users of course)

Their comments: "Right now is a great time to gather information on this sport and see where, when and how people use the parks for flying.
We also intend to liaise with the clubs to get a good grasp on the needs so that the sport is not marginalised, which means we need to think in the future about the types of land and reserve we as a Council provide."

So all is good. I hope other councils throughout the country are equally accommodating.
skipper

Postby lesterpk » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:22 am

How are the affected clubs with model flying sites in Mandatory Broadcast Zone's going with getting the flight radio telephone operator rating for each member and visitor?
lesterpk

Previous

Return to General Banter