New CAA Rules with one week lead time

New CAA Rules with one week lead time

Postby dfly » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:02 pm

Well,
this is great.
I fly a 40gm hubsan at the local park, with one week left i have to get council approval to fly?
no RC models after Aug 1st?
I hold a VFR qualification as well.
Great.

[edit]
http://www.caa.govt.nz/rpas/
dfly

Re: New CAA Rules with one week lead time

Postby dfly » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:58 pm

sent to auckland council parks today, will advise on response.

"I would like to fly a 43 gm small RC helicopter in Woodhall park, narrow neck. This park is not used for sports, I have a Visual Flight Rules qualification and do not fly more than 10m high nor 50m away from me.
I have flown there regularly and have had nothing but interest from park users.
There is now one week from the announcement of new CAA regs,
please to fast track my request.
Thanks,
-don"
dfly

Postby dfly » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:09 pm

and BTW,
I am an active member of the Auckland Hanggliding and ParaGliding Club. Membership in the national chapter NZHPGA gives you membership in the local club and is mandatory to fly in NZ by CAA rules.
We have airspace officers who work tirelessly at the national level to preserve our airspace rights. they recommend we show up at every CAA airspace consultation to show our face, or risk having airspace degraded to save commercial fuel.
we also have local council and DOC liaisons in our Auckland Club who work hard to preserve sites and get new sites approved to fly from.
it is a lot of work from mostly dedicated volunteers.
one week lead time to roll this out is typical of the CAA's stakeholders consultation process.
IMHO
dfly

Postby Xrayfugu » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Yeah, it was bad enough that by law I needed to contact the local Tower each time I want to fly a kite during a walk on the beach in Dunedin (as there is an Emergency Heliport just under 4km away) now I also need to find the owner of the beach to ask their permission too!
I also have a small Blade MCP-X Heli and little foamies which I enjoyed flying at a local park, now I need to get permission from the council to do that too!
I've been flying RC for over 20 years and never even come close to having an incident. For the big stuff I stick to the flying field but my slope soarers can't fly at the field.. I need coast and cliffs with wind, who do I get permission from for that now?
Would be o.k if they specified Drones only in the new law but it covers everything from Balloons, kites to Gliders and little foamies.
I think I'm just going to have to break the law or give up my 20+ year hobby for good.

Pretty dis-heartening.
Xrayfugu

Postby VaughanNZ » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:35 pm

Can someone clarify this?. Does this mean we are also going to have be licenced and pay for the privilege of flying RC air craft and Helo's. Does anyone know if there will be any costs involved?

Cheers

V
VaughanNZ

Postby Dave Cogan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:14 am

I have recently taken up the sport here in Auckland.
I have a Radian and Radian Pro powered foam glider and have been flying them from Bastian Point which has a huge grass area and off Mount Wellington.

It would seem with the new Part 101 approval of the land owner will be required.

Can Model Flying NZ put together a proposal that is submitted to various land owners around each town where there is flying interest to build up a list of approved sites.

With a memorandum of understanding between the council/landowner surely something can be done?

For example setting some limits like no aircraft that carry any form of camera, type of aircraft used on individual sites (foam is safer than a high performance model), setting weather standards, some sort of experience level etc and a simple competency approval issued by this club.

This could be a good revenue maker for this organization to fund gaining and over-seeing the sites and the approved personnel that can fly these sites etc.

I can't believe that CAA has lumped normal model aircraft with camera carrying quadcopters?

Thoughts welcomed.
Dave Cogan

Postby andrew » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:11 pm

Dave Bastion Point is a tricky one - its close to the Heliport at Mechanics Bay.

I've just sent an email to the other guys on the Auckland Soar committee with respect to what we do with the slope sites we fly from.

We have a licence from the council to use Ambury Park for flat field soaring. We might need to approach them for official "approval" for the slope sites also.

Seems crazy as these sites have been flown with no issues for decades. All it will take is the council to be overly risk-adverse and this great hobby and sport could be in jeopardy.

P.S. bring your Radians down to Ambury some time. We are off for the next couple of months with lambing, but will be back after that.
andrew

Postby Waterland » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:25 pm

VaughanNZ wrote:Can someone clarify this?. Does this mean we are also going to have be licenced and pay for the privilege of flying RC air craft and Helo's. Does anyone know if there will be any costs involved?

Cheers

V

I have just joined this forum. I have many years experience within the CAA Rules. I can produce Expositions for the new Part 102 Rule that is due to come in on August 1 2015. I have been very involved in the Part 115 Adventure Aviation rule process & assisted nearly halve of those operators in obtaining there Part 115 Certificate. I can be contacted by Cell Phone 021 2771177 or email amd@vodafone.co.nz
Waterland

Postby dfly » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:04 pm

Received this reply from Auckland council, seems they had no idea this was coming as well.
and the CAA has a link to this website for information :); of which there was none.

"Hi Don

As yet there are no designated areas for the casual use of UAVs on council parks other than few areas licenced by model aircraft clubs.

The council was unaware that CAA was contemplating the new rules which requires people to obtain council approval to operate UAVs on public land.
The council is currently working through the implications of the new CAA rules and the most effective way to permit activities such as quadcopters and drones in public places.
The best I can offer at this stage is to suggest you keep an eye on our website.

Nga mihi nui

Paul Duffy | Parks Advisor | Devonport Takapuna
Local and Sports Parks - Parks, Sports and Recreation - North
Ph 09 301 0101 | M 021 816897
Auckland Council, Level 3, 1 The Strand, Takapuna 0622
Visit our website: www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz"
dfly

Postby dfly » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:37 am

Just now on Radio Live,
Auckland Council gives blanket approval to fly council parks!!!!
Some restrictions apply, common sense prevails for once!
Can't find a link at this point.
dfly

Next

Return to General Banter