work bench

work bench

Postby tigger » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Just been revamping the hangar and in the past i have suffered from a painfull back after building for an hour or so. I have now swapped my stool for an adjustable [height wise ] office chair and set the height at a position where my knees make a right angle to the floor. This seating height was sourced from google. Next was the table height and i settled for 710mm which has proved really comfortable to work on. Table top is a door purchased from local building supplies and i have yet to put a soft top on it. I thought maybe cork tiles glued and sanded flat. In the past i have used GIB board but it gets shabby after a while. Any advice or ideas from fellow builders would be great.
Cheers Tigger
tigger

Re: work bench

Postby tigger » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:50 pm

My new door come table top with a phoenix glider having an u/c fitted to it.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
P15 undercarriage 002.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:57 pm

Phoenix 1600 with it's new u/c ready for a trial take off and landing, still to fit a tail skid.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
UC P15 008.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:50 pm

Well here is the new tail skid all fitted up. We seem to have moved sideways on the bench subject but it is working well.
You are probably wondering why someone would want an u/c on a glider and the reason is i have learned to fly on wheel less planes over the last couple of years and have gone from bungee launched gliders to aileron powered gliders and now i need to have some wheels. I'm very familiar on how this one flies so why not use the same plane and it has a foldable prop as well. The extra weight of the tail skid and wooden block in the rear fuse for the mounting has offset the u/c and the C of G remains the same, probably more good luck rather than good management. I have a modeling cobber in South Africa i correspond with and he has suggested i get it up to speed reasonably quickly so the fin and rudder become effective on take off. I suggested a swiveling tail wheel but he thought it would be like a supermarket trolley so i have gone with the skid. Any more suggestions?.
Cheers Tigger
And cheers to Admin for getting rid of the turkeys that seem to invade our Forum, thanks guys.
Attachments
UC P15 011.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:37 am

Thought i would give you a front on look to see just how wide the track is.
Cheers tigger
Attachments
UC P15 003.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:54 pm

The Phoenix glider turned trainer took to the air this afternoon with no drama except maybe the materials were found to be a bit weak so creation becomes evolution and i'll upgrade to stronger materials. Did a hand full of take offs and landings and found it was so easy to control on the ground. Kind of took off like an airliner and landed like a stolen Jet. Did some sums on the wing loading and found the slowest flying would be around 28 KPH so it is arriving quite quick and it's easy to turn the strip in front of you to ground behind. One thing i did discover and this comes from my glider guiding and not needing a strip to land on is now i need to sort some reference to the strip on let down. It is a bit strange how we started on a work bench and have arrived with a test flight for wheels. Maybe Admin could give us a space to mention some of our flying stories etc.
Cheers Tigger
tigger

Postby tigger » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:15 pm

Well finally got around to fitting some Gib board to the door/work bench and have started on a Big Stik to give it a workout. One thing about Gib is the pins push into it fairly easy and it never bothers the surface much. Had a look at cork but 1 pack was more than a sheet of Gib so that made choosing easy.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
big stil 004.jpg
tigger

Return to General Banter