new glider from HK

new glider from HK

Postby tigger » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:45 am

I had put my Ugly Stik build on hold until winter comes around. Managed to stuff one of my gliders into the ground so had been looking at a great looking hobby king glider " Dragonfly " but when you hit the forums the feed back is not good. Wrong motor and prop combo, wings break up in hard flight, vertical fin twisted and the list goes on and on but it is a great looker so hit the Buy Now button and a couple of weeks later had it on the work bench. I'll pop a photo in for you to see and then i later posts will explain the " fixes "
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
plane 019.jpg
tigger

Re: new glider from HK

Postby tigger » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:53 am

Just another pic of Dragonfly on the jig to check my C of G.
Tigger
Attachments
plane 025.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:58 am

Next up is the new longer wing joiner and the extra long drill to add some more holes in the ribs for the carbon tube. I found this mod on a forum and the guy was from Wellington. Monkey tech was the site so thanks to Hamish for some good Kiwi thinking.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
plane 013.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:56 pm

Next up was the horizontal stabilizer base which was off scew quite a lot so cut a 2mm ply base and epoxied it to fuse and trued things up somewhat.

Tigger
Attachments
plane 028.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:03 pm

I found that the motor was just too high in the KV range [rpm ] so swapped it out for a turnigy with lower rpm from my old Phoenix.
Have enclosed photo of HK bits and the prop adapter was not what i would normally use, so will find a home for it on the coke can plane under the carport. Made a new motor mount as well and secured the motor with 4 x screws rather than only 2 on the HK mount. Also gave it a little down as it was pointing skyward previously.
Tigger
Attachments
plane 036.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:48 am

Photo showing wing joiners, and the larger one is 7mm carbon tube and the smaller is 4 mm. I have extended the 7mm to go through the dihedral joins on both wings and this was where the long drill was used. The 4mm only goes as far as the dihedral join but still needed a longish drill. This shorter drill was made by using a 2mm bit pushed into the carbon tube to make a pilot hole in the ribs then followed up with a 4mm bit i had tacked on to some 3mm rod that i use to replace bent motor shafts. Most of my motors now have 4mm shafts and these don't get bent. The original 4 mm joiner was only about 70mm long so i now have a rear spar in part of the wing at least. Have added some hook and loop to secure the wings to each other but this is probably an overkill. The 7mm tube came from Hobby Hangar and the smaller 4mm came from Rainbow Flight,Nelson kite shop.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
plane 029.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Well that's pretty much it apart from a pic showing the servo control fairings i added to stop getting caught up in the grass on landings. My C of G came in at 70mm from L.E. with 38 grams of lead needed in front of the battery. This i glued in place with no more gaps,works well.
The web site that helped me with the longer wing joiners is : techmonkeybusiness.com
Even though i never followed his ideas to the letter and used larger carbon tube for my mod, all praise must go to him for kick starting the mod.
The AUW came in at 1020 grams so the Dragonfly should fly. Thanks for having a look.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
plane 027.jpg
tigger

Postby tigger » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Well the maiden flight was not too bad,windy conditions but it handled it well apart from a prop that would not stop spinning. I had swapped out an esc from another plane that didn't need a brake so got caught out on that one. Looking around the airframe when i got home and a few of the glue joins around the battery deck had let go so a quick sand up and some epoxie should fix that problem. Quite glad i had replaced the motor mount and had given it a good sanding before it was glued back in. I think todays problem came from wood that was not sanded [ roughed up ] before gluing in the HK factory, just hope the wing is okay but will be keeping a close eye on things when flown next time. A shame really that the Chinese don't take time to at least sand the wood before gluing.Have popped a pic in to show troublesome areas.
Cheers Tigger
Attachments
plane 012.jpg
tigger

Return to General Banter