sanding thick foam blocks to a fine, smooth, finish

An area for members to ask questions, post problems, and find solutions to issues with the forums.

sanding thick foam blocks to a fine, smooth, finish

Postby drmike » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:42 pm

I need the advice of the experienced...... :idea:

I am interested in using the fuselage building technique that Chris Golds demonstrates with his models in Quiet and Electric Flying mag...He uses a simple wooden box fuselage to which he glues foam and then shapes the foam to give the fuselage contours. He then finishes the shape by SANDING the foam.
Can anyone please tell me which types of foam BLOCK - available in NZ - is suitable for SANDING to a fine finish (rather than Depron sheet which is too thin for my purpose and I don't want to laminate the foam)

Thanks
Mike
drmike

Re: sanding thick foam blocks to a fine, smooth, finish

Postby jaredm » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:41 pm

what you need is Polyurethane foam sheet. Depending on where you are in the country Trademe usually has it
jaredm

Re: sanding thick foam blocks to a fine, smooth, finish

Postby Rt737 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi - I have built Chris's VC10 using this building technique. Foremans Insulation in Auckland stock the blue foam used in these models. Really effective - once you have sanded the fuselage to shape you can seal the foam by applying several coats of PVA thinned with water (66% PVA, 33% water+ a drop o food coloring to make it easier to see where you he been) with a light sand between coats. Have fun. Cheers Richard
Rt737

Return to Forum Help