Taplin Twin

Taplin Twin

Postby walrus » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:39 pm

I recently acquired a Taplin Twin mkIII diesel that was new in box but very hard to turn over. The serial number 4257 means it was produced in 1970 at the Birchington Works, England. I mounted on a test bench and fitted a 13x5 1/2 Topflite wood propeller. I primed the engine with lots of fuel and turned it over and kept doing so over the next two days to loosen things up and soften the gummy residues that had formed over the past 43 years of inactivity. The day came when I decided to get it running. I set up the tank and filled it with fuel and started flicking the prop over. Quite a lot of effort initially with generous priming and managed to get fuel into the cylinders with more flicking and much patience. It started with a few pops and spluttering and once it settled down I adjusted the mixture and compression settings to get an even run. I ran the engine fairly rich for the first two tanks and on the third tank I adjusted the idle screw to get it running nicely at idle.
I have a Majestic Major which is basically a Junior 60 scaled up 140%. It has been flown with a PAW 35 diesel. an OS 48 four stroke and a Saito 56 four stroke and has been in service for the last 15 years. I thought this plane would be an ideal testbed for the Taplin Twin as it has the size and weight to accommodate such an engine. I mounted the engine on a sturdy plywood plate and installed it into the engine bay and hooked up the throttle and fuel line. At the flying field I got everything set up and ran the engine and checked throttle response to make sure all was well. Takeoff was preceded by a nice ground roll and gentle liftoff and steady climb to about 15 meters before I throttled back to about 2/3 power. I flew for about 15 minutes and allowed the plane to climb to about 50 meters. Three long flights and the engine performed beautifully. I would have to say that this combination is very aesthetically pleasing and such a pleasure to fly and might inspire other Taplin Twin owners to get their engines into the air.
With respect to fuel, here are the details:
36.5% ether
36.5% kerosene
25% Klotz Ben-Oil
2% amyl nitrate
walrus

Return to Vintage